Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avenue Q  (Read 2552 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Avenue Q
« on: February 08, 2008, 03:53:31 am »

So last night my sister stood in line to get rush tickets for Avenue Q and picked me up one while she was at it. 25 bucks for fourth-row seats is not bad at all. Apparently it's not "edgy" anymore but whatever, it's the same show and I hadn't seen it yet so who cares if the imaginary edge moved.

The show is actually better than I was expecting. A lot of the songs got internet memed nearly to death but are quite good in the actual show, and a number of them do a surprisingly good job of capturing the feel of Muppets and Sesame Street in a way that many "parodies" (coughMeetTheFeeblescough) do not: "The Internet Is For Porn" could, other than its subject matter, be a  very credible Prairie Dawn vs. Cookie Monster sketch, while "If You Were Gay" flows exactly like a Bert and Ernie sketch should. There were no points at which I felt unentertained. I had concerns about the use of overhead screens (as I usually do when they're used in theater) but the insertion of animated segments and "word overlays" contributed greatly to the Sesame Street flow.

So, yeah. Overhyped but not overrated. Actually a really good evening, at least for a Muppets fan. I think it's possible for a show like this to go two ways: one way is where you like it more the more you like the original material, and the other is where you like it less the more you like the original material. I prefer the former style every time, and Avenue Q does well.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Avenue Q
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 03:59:04 am »

I saw this with my girlfriend a few months back.

Her favourite line was when the female lead was asked if she caught the bouqet at a wedding and she said: "actually, a little girl did... but she wasn't very strong".

My favourite line was explaining why the Trekkie Monster was ridiculously weathy: "in unstable market, only smart investment is porn".

This basically gives you the entire dynamic of our relationship.

I liked it a lot.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Avenue Q
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 04:31:24 am »

I haven't seen it, but I own the soundtrack, and enjoy it completely.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Avenue Q
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 06:39:12 am »

um.

when I was in 9th grade or so, I was in a play with this girl, who told me her big sister's boyfriend was writing this awesome musical that was like a parody of The Muppets and sesame street, all the songs were really funny, etc. I did not really find this interesting or remarkable, but was polite.
Now they are married, and I see ads for it everywhere, and always feel the need to tell people "one of the guys who wrote that is my friend's brother in law."

weird. weird.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Avenue Q
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 06:42:41 am »

Inev's social web of coincidence displays yet another thread.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Avenue Q
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 06:51:44 pm »

Six degrees of theinevitable.  He's like our own personal Kevin Bacon. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1]   Go Up