Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me make use of some rad chilies.  (Read 2136 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Help me make use of some rad chilies.
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:24:52 pm »

Apparently serrano pepper plants love the hell out of the weather Central Ohio's been having over the last two months or so because I have a silly quantity of ripe peppers stacking up on my kitchen counter, waiting for me to do something with them.

I'm already eating one a day, chopped fine and added to my dinner when appropriate, and I've sliced and pickled probably two pints worth in a simple vinegar/salt/sugar brine.  I also ripped off a cocktail recipe from the Algonquin in NYC for a hella spicy cosmo, but there are only so many of those I can drink in a week.

Any other suggestions on what to do with these angry little babies?  I'm interested in recipes for salsas, sauces, preserves or pickles. 
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Help me make use of some rad chilies.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 01:08:31 am »

Those peppers are perfect for some Thai curries. I'm too lazy to make my own curry paste, so I just get whatever looks the most authentic from the local asian foodmart. The other pastes at local grocers seem to be a bit mild for my tastes.

I usually chop up the peppers and fry them in some peanut oil with a bit of minced garlic and add them to the curry sauce. Recipes for curry sauces number in the trillions (or so it seems). I like to mix it up and experiment a bit each time I make it, varying the amount of lemon juice, curry paste, basil, veggies etc. Brown sugar is also a secret ingredient of mine.

One thing I've been meaning to do it make my own chile powder. If you let the chiles sit out you can dry them, then grind them up with a cheap coffee bean grinder you dedicate to spices. That way you can save that chile goodness for the winter.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Help me make use of some rad chilies.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 03:11:36 am »

If you can dry them, they will have a different character when you use them.
I'm partial to pepper jelly, if you know anyone who knows how to make it.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up