Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...  (Read 3454 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Liz

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 12:27:22 pm »

For what it's worth, side_show, I thought the lottery ticket story was cool. When I first read it, I was thinking "Oh, that's such a waste of money, why would you do something like that?" and then I thought that, if you're spending the money on the lottery, the money is just going back to the government (isn't it? I don't actually know how this works with scratch-offs). It's a sort of strange, almost self-defeating thing. I can see how there was a lot to talk about. There are a few different avenues of thought that can branch off from there (economy, gambling addiction, the nature of art) if you stop to think about it. I'm glad that it got people talking.

I also find the story-broadcast one really interesting, but I can't think of a way to express why without getting weirdly touchy-feely in my third post on a message board. Just assume I wrote something here about six degrees of separation and never knowing about all the lives you touch and all that jazz.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 12:38:43 pm »

She's very good you know, very good indeed.

The reasoning behind the lottery thing is what redeems it for me too, if only to show the artists have a sense of humour.
Whenever I hear about a government funded project that seems moronic to me I remind myself that there are government projects that cost quite a bit more that I fully support that other people are rabidly against (GM food research for instance) and I think long term will benefit society as a whole. So maybe other people can see benefit there that I can't and after all it's their tax money too so fo course there should be different viewpoints on how it should be spent.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Quite possibly the weirdest video I've ever seen...
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 04:43:16 am »

As I understood it, the point of the performance/exhibit was to push people to discuss public art funding.

The performance/exhibit was successful all over again because people are talking (and having sloppy make outs) about public funding of the arts once more.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up