Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!  (Read 42430 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #225 on: September 29, 2008, 01:20:10 pm »

Congrats to AW for taking the 2008 TOUAMB fantasy baseball champeenship, 5-4 over my Banana Town squad.

The title match was a drawn-out affair with the score 5-5 for much of the two weeks.  For the most part, I led in all the pitching stats and he led in the hitting stats.  He finally pulled even in saves, though, and my motley band of five closers couldn't get another save this weekend.  Note to self:  try to get closers who don't play for shitty teams, because they tend to get more save opportunities.

I told myself I'd trade the fantasy league title for the Phillies making the playoffs and the Mets not, so there's that.

So:  Muttonheads take the flag, Banana Town second, Damned Human Race third.  Thanks to everyone for a good season.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #226 on: September 29, 2008, 11:21:45 pm »

Congrats to AW for taking the 2008 TOUAMB fantasy baseball champeenship, 5-4 over my Banana Town squad.

The title match was a drawn-out affair with the score 5-5 for much of the two weeks.  For the most part, I led in all the pitching stats and he led in the hitting stats.  He finally pulled even in saves, though, and my motley band of five closers couldn't get another save this weekend.  Note to self:  try to get closers who don't play for shitty teams, because they tend to get more save opportunities.

I told myself I'd trade the fantasy league title for the Phillies making the playoffs and the Mets not, so there's that.

So:  Muttonheads take the flag, Banana Town second, Damned Human Race third.  Thanks to everyone for a good season.

Thanks for the accolades! 

I'm still pretty bewildered over the whole affair.  It just goes to show that in fantasy baseball, unlike economics, the laissez-faire approach works.  Seriously.  I don't think I even looked at my team until mid-June and did not really focus on who was playing what days until August.

Which I am not saying that to be obnoxious in the least, but more to explain the depths of my bewilderment and to dissuade anyone from the idea that I won this thing because of my awesome skills or anything such-like.

So thank you all for a great season.  On to football!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:01 am »

Bronze is still better than last year, getting the regular season title and going out fourth.

My second season lesson: just because your pitching was good early in the season doesn't mean that you shouldn't occasionally kick the tires and double-check what they've been doing for you lately... I hung onto some pitchers on the strength of their first-half performances and... it made all the difference in the first round of the playoffs. All the bad difference.

But it was ten hells of fun either way.

Thanks for participating all!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #228 on: October 01, 2008, 01:46:59 pm »

I think Bobby Jenks' save last night should be added to my totals for the last game.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #229 on: October 01, 2008, 03:17:18 pm »

I wonder if there was a tiebreaking procedure if we'd finished 5-5, or if we'd have been declared co-champions.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #230 on: October 01, 2008, 06:33:31 pm »

i believe it differs to total points in that scenario.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #231 on: October 01, 2008, 07:30:20 pm »

Baseball didn't have total points though.  I actually went and looked it up:

Quote
In the event that a playoff game ends in a tie, the deadlock will be broken using the following system:
(See below if your league does not use one or more of the following categories.)
Lowest team ERA.
Highest team AVG.
Lowest team WHIP.
Most team HR.
Most team wins.
Most team RBI.
Most team saves.
Most team runs.
Most team SO.
Most team SB.
Random "coin flip."
Notes:
The first category above that is not tied will settle the tiebreaker. So, tiebreaker No. 2, team AVG., will be used only if team ERA is tied.

So the first tie-breaker was team ERA, which YEAH I WAS LEADING THAT ONE.

ONE SAVE, YOU SHITBAGS!  ALL I NEEDED WAS ONE MORE SAVE!  Jenks, Hanrahan, Hoffman, you fuckers are all fired.

No, I'm not bitter.  Not at all.  Stop it!  Leave me alone.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« Reply #232 on: October 02, 2008, 12:18:34 am »

Yeah well.  Yeah. The rules say I won fair and square.  So there.

For what it's worth, I knew all last week that a tie = a win for the Banana Boys.  So I was rooting for your starting pitchers on Sunday.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up