Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delgo  (Read 1977 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Delgo
« on: December 16, 2008, 06:08:38 am »

Worst Opening Ever.

I have never heard of this movie.  I watched the trailer it looks pretty good.  Or rather it looks like something that a lot of people would like.

So what's the deal, was it blackballed because it's independent?  It seems unlikely to me I would be completely in the dark on this if it had been promoted properly.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Delgo
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 06:27:25 am »

I would chalk it up to the whole "horribly creepy real-unrealness of the characters".

I mean, Real Dolls look like nightmares too but at least they're nightmares you can fuck.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Delgo
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 06:41:38 am »

Nah, that doesn't make any sense.  If that were the case Shrek would have tanked.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Delgo
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:32:20 am »

I think there's an exact level of realness that causes sensible men to recoil in horror.

Shrek was more dumb-looking than terrifying. Delgo seems to pin it exactly.

Plus, just for me, it reminds me of how confoundingly terrible Carlos Delgado was the first half of last season.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Delgo
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 07:42:59 am »

"the uncanny valley."

yeah, this looks pretty visually unpleasant.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Delgo
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:46:18 pm »

My impression is that it did not have the marketing to match the scope of its distribution.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Delgo
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 03:30:30 am »

Yeah, I don't get uncanny valley, I get "I never heard of it, what the fuck is it?"
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Delgo
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 04:33:36 am »

I have never heard of this movie before this thread.   To release a movie on that many screens and have it be completely unknown takes a very special kind of non-effort.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Delgo
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 05:13:24 am »

Or having the completely ridiculous business plan of putting a shitload of money into making a movie without having any marketing budget in case no one (or no one of any consequence) picks it up for distribution. Yeah, that too, but the idea of an uncanny valley violation is just more poetic.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Delgo
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 06:11:43 am »

if you keep clicking on things, it is a story about how that is basically what happened.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1]   Go Up