Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iran is well and truly shitting itself  (Read 7647 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 03:22:18 pm »

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit


from http://twitter.com/tehranbureau and http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/

to sum up: water cannons (may not be water, may not be tepid water)
reports of explosion at khomeini's tomb (if so, likely a reichstag-fire type thing or a mujahedin-e-khalq, more from juan cole http://www.juancole.com/2009/06/it-begins.html -- only state media is reporting this)
reports of helicopters pouring boiling water on protestors (yarr, ye olde medieval)

videos of day 7 of riots:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw9sIVeuIIo , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96FxjkTTeTE , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kTgSXy4fCk
that last one, they are chanting "death to khamanehi", which is pretty inflammatory, but the guy observes they may be mujahedin

raw bbc news feed of riots and shooting, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjcgYycnlHI

Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 06:34:45 pm »

very graphic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrdRwOlmIxI  and  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1aPejT0izs
do not watch if you have a weak stomach, you have been warned

http://elections.7rooz.com/link/845/

Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 02:43:08 am »

"Yesterday I wrote a note, with the subject line "tomorrow is a great day perhaps tomorrow I'll be killed." I'm here to let you know I'm alive but my sister was killed...


I'm here to tell you my sister died while in her father's hands
I'm here to tell you my sister had big dreams...
I'm here to tell you my sister who died was a decent person... and like me yearned for a day when her hair would be swept by the wind... and like me read "Forough" [Forough Farrokhzad]... and longed to live free and equal... and she longed to hold her head up and announce, "I'm Iranian"... and she longed to one day fall in love to a man with a shaggy hair... and she longed for a daughter to braid her hair and sing lullaby by her crib...

my sister died from not having life... my sister died as injustice has no end... my sister died since she loved life too much... and my sister died since she lovingly cared for people...

my loving sister, I wish you had closed your eyes when your time had come... the very end of your last glance burns my soul....

sister have a short sleep. your last dream be sweet."

Whoa.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 02:55:12 am »

There's a #neda tag on twitter in memory of her now (that was her name)

It is very creepy to actually watch someone die up close, not see someone get shot fall down go boom, but actually watch the life cease when (in this case) the hydrostatic shock just fucks everything up. It is very weird to see... one second alive, one second no longer alive, and I dont know if I can sleep tonight after seeing that.

at least its good to know i am not a serial killer

Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 10:52:54 pm »

I'm seeing here and there that the Council of Experts are at least considering removing Khamenei and Ahmadinnerjacket.

From everything I've read, I may have just typed "The Council of Experts are considering new laws for the universe."

Please advise.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2009, 04:33:58 am »

I'm seeing here and there that the Council of Experts are at least considering removing Khamenei and Ahmadinnerjacket.

From everything I've read, I may have just typed "The Council of Experts are considering new laws for the universe."

Please advise.

Rafsanjani legally has the power, but if he does so he may try to push for himself or for Montazeri to be the new rahbar -- Supreme Leader. Not the best outcome, I think the best outcome would be to trash the system entirely.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2009, 07:55:53 am »

Not the best outcome, I think the best outcome would be to trash the system entirely.

Is there any reasonable idea of how likely that is at this point? I mean people are talking about revolution this and that but for all the protests there doesn't seem to be the kind of armed uprising you'd probably need to actually remove the system of government as opposed to simply changing the government.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 02:32:23 pm »

Is there any reasonable idea of how likely that is at this point? I mean people are talking about revolution this and that but for all the protests there doesn't seem to be the kind of armed uprising you'd probably need to actually remove the system of government as opposed to simply changing the government.

I don't know. No one predicted the first revolution, or Gandhi leading India to shake off the Brits, or Oliver Cromwell, or the American or French Revolutions, turning out the way they did.

That said, this is following patterns very similar to 79. In the end it boils down to whether the resolve of the Army is against the uprising or with it.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 06:21:56 pm »

That said, this is following patterns very similar to 79. In the end it boils down to whether the resolve of the Army is against the uprising or with it.

I am not a historian, but from what I can remember from high school history classes, revolutions typically get into full swing when the military decides they're with the people rather than with the government.  I distinctly remember Mr. Lucas (World History, 11th grade) telling us about the storming of the Bastille, and the key being that the army decided not to shoot up the masses.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 10:02:10 pm »

I was at the "Bastille" metro stop today, but did not see the Bastille. Just the Rodin museum. DUMB. Good thing that the world allows you to go to places more than once.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2009, 10:53:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure the Bastille no longer exists, but if I recall correctly, someone put colored paving stones down (or painted the streets) to outline where it once stood.

Edit:

Google
knows where it is.  You'll need to zoom in some to see the markings on the street.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:00:32 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2009, 01:07:42 pm »

Remind me how this ended the last time?

Edit: I read in another thread that these are actually Iranians who worked at the consulate not British citizens so it's not as big a deal as I thought, they recalled their ambassador as well though, so something's going on.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:11:47 pm by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2009, 01:10:36 pm »

Remind me how this ended the last time?

British special forces DO NOT FUCK AROUND. They won't crash any helicopters in the desert. Just saying.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Iran is well and truly shitting itself
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2009, 04:06:40 pm »

It doesn't look like things are all sunshine and lollipops in Honduras right now, either.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up