Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disney Buys Marvel  (Read 2424 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Disney Buys Marvel
« on: September 01, 2009, 02:06:27 am »

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/31/news/companies/disney_marvel/index.htm

This might be bad news if Marvel didn't suck now anyway.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Buys Marvel
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 02:22:53 am »

Hasn't WB owned DC Comics for years? I mean I'll hate on some Disney but I don't really see what the big deal is.
Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Buys Marvel
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 02:30:36 am »

I can think of one way this could turn out well: If Pixar started doing the movies. Seriously, Iron Man 3 animated by Pixar? The Avengers animated by Pixar? How would that be anything but awesome? But the odds of this are wicked slim.

Oh shit. Captain America animated by Pixar. I would ejaculate.

ADDENDUM: Speaking of Pixar, I am holding my breath for the John Carter film. Pixar always does well, but what are they going to do to a series about a naked Confederate and his hot naked wife? With swords? I'm... I'm nervous.

FURTHERMORE: Oh my gods! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bear_and_the_Bow sounds awesome! A princess who wants to become an archer? In Scotland?! That's three of my favorite things right there.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:44:30 am by Toaster »
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Buys Marvel
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:53:40 am »

Hasn't WB owned DC Comics for years? I mean I'll hate on some Disney but I don't really see what the big deal is.

They're bringing Disney business practices with them. I don't have any problem with things like "No more letting authors get two years behind on a title because they're Big Names Guys Seriously" but I do have a problem with "we also don't really let authors apply individual imagination and ideas to Our Brand", which is a thing that happens to Disney-acquired brands pretty often.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Buys Marvel
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 03:18:35 am »

A princess who wants to become an archer? In Scotland?! That's three of my favorite things right there.
Got a taste for European ruling families, eh?



Rrrrowwr
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Buys Marvel
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:59:16 am »

I can think of one way this could turn out well: If Pixar started doing the movies. Seriously, Iron Man 3 animated by Pixar? The Avengers animated by Pixar? How would that be anything but awesome? But the odds of this are wicked slim.

Maybe not according to this I mean it's all early days and I doubt they'd get to play with the  big name properties where the preference is for live action, but they could do some awesome stuff with the smaller properties as this list from the same site suggests.
Damage control sounds right up Pixar's alley, although trying to do superhero stuff while making it tonally and aesthetically distinct from the Incredibles might be hard.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Re: Disney Buys Marvel
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 08:59:09 pm »

From the AP:

The Walt Disney company’s purchase of Marvel Entertainment this week apparently came as a surprise to Disney’s president and CEO Robert A. Iger.

“Really? We didn’t own Marvel already? Jesus, we own everything else. I just found a receipt for the Atlantic Ocean on my desk the other day,” said Iger . “But okay, great. We own Marvel. Just tell them to find something to do and stay the hell out of my way after I come back from cocktails.”

The sale of Marvel is being greeted with excitement by all those who look forward to the venerable comics company dropping any pretense of being in the comics business.

“Imagine if God gave himself an enema. That is the capacity we now have to shit merch into the world’s dollar stores!” said Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada over his TeamSpeak line in a game of EVE-Online. “We won’t have to put out these fuck*ng floppies at all! Which is great news, since most of our customer base qualifies for Medicare.”

Reportedly, there will be a few cosmetic changes to Marvel’s iconic cast of heroes (see below). Qesada says that fans should not be bothered.

“Don’t like it? Fuck yourself with Mjolnir while I a go eat 50 lb. rib-eye served with a reduction of komodo dragon’s blood at Spago’s! I’ve got more money than the TARP fund now!”





Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Disney Buys Marvel
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:21:40 pm »

i hope we dont have to be subjected to post apocalyptic hannah montana graphic novels and crap like that...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Buys Marvel
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 12:40:57 am »

i hope we dont have to be subjected to post apocalyptic hannah montana graphic novels and crap like that...

I beg you - someone tell me how to erase this concept from my mind. I don't even care what else goes with it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Buys Marvel
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 04:26:47 am »

Fuck, I'd read it.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Disney Buys Marvel
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 04:38:04 am »

The idea of Raven Symone having a flash-forward of The Days of Futures Past and then trying to prevent the mutant holocaust by dressing up like a fat lady going to church on Sunday for some reason... this is interesting to me. I would buy that pamphlet, yes.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Disney Buys Marvel
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 05:44:33 am »

Quote
The idea of Raven Symone having a flash-forward of The Days of Futures Past and then trying to prevent the mutant holocaust by dressing up like a fat lady going to church on Sunday for some reason... this is interesting to me. I would buy that pamphlet, yes.

That's so Raven!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Buys Marvel
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 05:05:42 pm »

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up