Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Russia! at the Guggenheim  (Read 4850 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2006, 08:34:21 pm »

But Canada has no guaranteed right to free speech....at least, none enshrined in the basis of law.

At least, that's what these guys say...


But I haven't actually read Canada's Constitution or whatever the founding documents may be called there.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Russia! at the Guggenheim
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2006, 09:47:42 pm »

side_show: I, too, read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich in English.  Hopefully by my fourth year of Russian I'll be able to read novels in the original language, but just one semester of study has not given me the capacity to do so.

I think Solzhenitsyn was exiled (in 1974, that is; he had been exiled a couple times before) because his works were intensely revealing, and therefore critical, of the Soviet prison camp system.  The USSR was such a secretive, paranoid country, even after Stalin's death in 1953, that it continued its barbaric practice of exiling and/or imprisoning its own citizens probably (and this is just a guess) until Gorbachev's election in 1985.

For a more complete biography of Solzhenitsyn's life, go here.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up