Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving to a Desert Island  (Read 5164 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Moving to a Desert Island
« on: August 05, 2003, 12:38:46 am »

In the small hope of keeping this forum from becoming too moribund, please discuss:

You are to be dropped on a desert island where you will live the next five years by yourself.  All your physical needs (i.e. food, water, shelter, medication) will be amply met.

What do you take with you to nourish and maintain your mind, soul and spirit?  Everything you carry must be able to be wedged into the trunk of a mid-sized sporty sedan, say a 1990 Nissan Maxima.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Moving to a Desert Island
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 12:45:39 am »

I'd fill the trunk with seven vietnamese beauty pagent winners (plus a little tube so that they could breathe).  

One would have a PhD in biochemistry
Another would be a doctor and have won the Nobel Prize for some medical discovery
Beauty number three would have dual-majored in English and Philosophy
Another in theatre and playwriting
Number five would be a minister and be wise in spiritual matters
Another would have majored in Fellatio in college
Another would've been a nanny for orphans

What else do you need?

Oh, and I guess I'd fill the passenger cabin with DVDs, a portable player, screen, and a huge hamster wheel for my little vietnamese women to run on, both getting their exercise and powering the DVD at the same time.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Moving to a Desert Island
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 12:58:06 am »

Hmmm. Possibly a source of renewable energy, laptop(has to have a laaarge hard drive for all my music and a dvd player) and an amp/speakers, and a satellite uplink. I'd then pack round them with books, and find space enough for my guitar too. Oh and make sure i took some games with me.
If I could then persuade the people committing this atrocity that that the woman of my dreams didn't count as a person I'd find space for her too!

(am I allowed the Nissan too?)

See, my problem with the desert island five records is that I couldn't pick five. Having a trunk to fill makes it so easy!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Moving to a Desert Island
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 01:11:21 am »

Dang, everybody's cheating. Renewable energy and solar powered laptops. Why not monkey bulters? Or a universal remote that actually controls everything in the universe?

I'd like to bring some board games but I always suck at those only-one-peg-left solitare games. The five-year stipulation makes books hard to choose as well. Unless I brought a whole shit-load of tiny books with a magnifying glass.

Hmm, this is hard
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Moving to a Desert Island
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 02:18:38 am »

Oh, dang.  Well, definitely I'd do the solar powered laptop/satellite uplink thing.  I mean, how else could I moderate this board from a desert island?  I'd also bring a cell phone, which my loved ones Stateside would be sure to keep in service for me.  I'd bring my multifunction copier/fax/scanner and a digital camera, and about 600 blank CDs.  I'd probably also bring bunches and bunches of video games.  

I'd have to have a few basic supplies, like a roll of duct tape, a leatherman, and a huge box of strike-anywhere matches.  And even though I gave up smoking years ago, I'd probably bring a carton of cigarettes and about twenty bottles of Jim Beam.  I mean, I'll have plenty of time to quit again, right?  

Oh, and I'd bring my Achewood shirts and two pairs of jeans.  And a vibrator.  With lots and lots of batteries.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Moving to a Desert Island
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 04:56:47 am »

Mmmm, Jim Beam.  Good idea in light of the big fire at the warehouse down the road today.  Jim Beam might be a rare commodity...

I think I would bring...

--- materials to build a still, including a big 'ol copper vat and lots of copper tubing
--- a generous supply of yeast
--- a generator which will burn ethanol and/or methanol
--- a supply of batteries to last me until I can distill some fuel/beverages
--- a wide variety of seeds and seedlings
--- a satellite dish and the requisite modem + A DirecTV receiver
--- a state of the art laptop (must have TV card)
--- a shoebox full of CD's (hell, 1 CD can hold about a jillion MP3s.  20 could easily hold about every song I ever heard.  The rest would be games and books)
--- two shoeboxes full of spices
--- three gallons of olive oil
--- one gallon of hot sauce
--- three or four buckwheat pillows
--- some dumbbells and weights
--- Blueprints for everything Prof. Roy Hinckley ever designed
--- Survival kit of useful but boring tools
--- The "Fuckin'" Poster Roast Beef hung in Pat's Rocketship.
--- And the memory of all you wonderous dudes and babes.

And that's all I'd need.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Moving to a Desert Island
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 05:04:01 am »

Let me see... in a mundane universe (well, as mundane as any universe where you get trapped on desert islands is), I'd have to go with a CD/MP3 player, my CD collection, appropriate MP3s, and some kind of solar-powered laptop loaded with Angband variants. Honestly, attempting to beat Angband would probably keep me busy for five solid years. ... Also, I think I'd want a few good books, both for reading and to ensure that prolonged Angbanding didn't completely destroy my ability to comprehend letters.

In a You Can Totally Have Anything Universe... well, it's time to break out the Conveniently-Trunk-Sized Mad Science Laboratory and start making this island into my Fortress of Playing in God's Domain.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Moving to a Desert Island
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 07:07:32 am »

I'd just bring the still and the monkey butlers. And probably some lotion. What exactly is included under the medication heading, by the way?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Moving to a Desert Island
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 10:06:31 am »

OK, if despite the fact we're allowed a nissan trunkload of stuff, laptops and renewable energy are out... How about a coconut radio?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1]   Go Up