Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials  (Read 5448 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 07:34:24 pm »

How does "cumulo" work in this, then? Because the "fluff" part, I suppose, is covered by "daffy" already.

as pertains to the word cumulative, i.e.-a series.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 09:17:55 pm »

You think? I'm not convinced, "serials" should cover that.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 03:19:41 am »

You think? I'm not convinced, "serials" should cover that.

[[shrug]] in 100 years no one will care.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Chump Change

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 172
  • This is amazing!
    • View Profile
Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 04:17:57 am »

'Cumulo' also conveys cloud imagery, which reinforces the 'fluff' idea.

I don't think there is an official limit on how many parts of a phrase can be used to convey a single idea, is there?
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 12:28:47 pm »

Yes there is, it's called "avoid pleonasms". If I had a point, which I'm not even sure I had anymore, is that 'Stadt sometimes strains the ol' verbiage muscle.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:42:32 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 12:49:30 pm »

Yes there is, it's called "avoid pleonasms". If I had a point, which I'm not even sure I had anymore, is that 'Stadt sometimes strains the ol' verbiage muscle.

its a feature
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 03:57:34 pm »

I thought "pleonasms" were what Roman aristocrats had during orgies.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 09:11:27 pm »

"Haw haw, I touched your heart!"
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 05:10:41 am »

Papist: a word sadly absent from conversation these days.

I use that word all the time.  I'm also fond of "Fenian".
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 11:05:16 pm »

I use that word all the time.  I'm also fond of "Fenian".

There's a reason that's not heard often.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up