Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH  (Read 4460 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 07:06:04 am »

The last blockbuster movie I liked was District-9.  Awesome!  That is an action movie!
Logged
ACHIEVE

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 03:35:55 pm »

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 02:49:31 pm »

I just came from it and liked it, in response to inev's original thing when it's 'revealed' that they grew old together in the dream world (it had pretty much said so before multiple times) it has a couple of flashes of them as old people including one of them crossing hands over the railroad track that mirrors the earlier scene when they looked younger. So yeah, I guess the original just looked like it did because it was someone telling a story but leaving out the details.

I had a great time, I think there were cool concepts like the timing changes between different dream levels that were used well. I thought the idea of three set pieces happening simultaneously is awesome. I don't think there need to be any theories about it beyond 'was he dreaming or not?' which is a question I'm happy to leave unanswered. I liked the original inception on the wife (Mal, maul, whatever) as a metaphor for poisoning a relationship, I liked the catharsis when he said that the real her was too complicated for him to remember perfectly.

If I was going to speculate on whether he was dreaming or not I'd say the fact that he went down to his deepest subconscious and let go of his wife's memory so he could come back to his family would lend credence to the idea that the whole thing was a dream and actually some kind of therapy for Cobb set up by his father or whoever Michael Caine was.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 04:18:37 pm »

if i figured right, caine was mal's father, married to frenchie 'grandma' from the phone chat in act 1
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 02:22:31 am »

Yeah that probably makes more sense.

The problem with this movie is that anything that doesn't quite make sense you can't be sure if it's just a fuck up or a deliberate 'because it was a dream, get it!'.

Having slept on it (and having a weird dream about escaping from a van underwater because of some weird bet made by people at a bar at my old high school and involving people who were boarding at my parent's old house, all of which made perfect sense) the ending is reminding me most of the origami unicorn in blade runner and I think that's a good comparison. It's an ambiguous ending but it doesn't take away from the story that preceded it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 05:26:29 pm »

woke up in the middle of the night with a "theory" about what was "really going on" in Inception.

My new rule: I only want to hear your Inception theory if it came to you in a dream.

(it made no sense and involved "THEY NEVER SHOWED _____" even though they did, multiple times.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 04:23:32 pm »

Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 02:10:59 am »

I saw Inception this weekend, at IMAX, after having intentionally avoided all information on it prior.  Overall, I thought it was okay, but I wasn't in love with it.  There was a point in the middle where I was just bored as hell and considered leaving, but it was mostly watchable, though not great or anything. 

The one thing that Inception did bring to mind was that the actress who played Mal, Marion Cotillard, won an Oscar for BRILLIANTLY playing Edith Piaf in the French language film La Vie en Rose, and Piaf's song "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien" is the one used in Inception as the waking song.  That was a nice connect, as La Vie en Rose plays with memory, association and reality as well.  I liked La Vie en Rose about 100 times better than Inception though.  There was a lot more depth.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 03:08:49 am »

There was a point in the middle where I was just bored as hell and considered leaving, but it was mostly watchable, though not great or anything.

I didn't like it that much, and that part was probably the same part during which I fell asleep. At first I thought I should probably give it another chance because how can you really judge a movie when you slept through a good portion of it, you know? But then I thought, well, if I can sit through Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev and Mirror without falling asleep, I'm probably not the problem. I mean it's not like I have a short attention span or need violence and sex every frame (though it's much appreciated).
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 04:38:30 am »

The one thing that Inception did bring to mind was that the actress who played Mal, Marion Cotillard, won an Oscar for BRILLIANTLY playing Edith Piaf in the French language film La Vie en Rose, and Piaf's song "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien" is the one used in Inception as the waking song.

A thing about the music in the movie.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up