Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I got a game boy for Christmas!  (Read 6500 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
I got a game boy for Christmas!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2003, 03:50:06 am »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
From my tiny observations: So far it looks like someone overclocked an SNES and shoved it into a trendy woman's compact.


That is the popular comparison and it is popular because it is largely correct; that and because many, many SNES games are being remade / revamped for the GBA and in many cases they are better than the originals. One reason I love the GBA so dearly is because I am an old-school gamer; I cut my teeth as a toddler on the Intellivision and never looked back, and I will swear at gunpoint that the targeting system in the widely fellated GTA 3 / VC games sucks a foul, unhappy bozack.

I AM GOING TO CRAM THIS CONVERSATION CHOP-SOCKY FULL OF TACKY ORAL REFERENCES SO BEAR WITH ME PEOPLE

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I would normally say that Zartan's idea is awesome, but buying some "legitimate" cartridges would also be nice, yo.


V-Adore: straight outta SQUARESVILLE

Seriously, though - I cannot believe I forgot to mention this game: Wario Ware, Inc. I have converted more people into the sweet, accepting arms of the GBA with this title than I can remember; in fact, if you, JL, buy this game and really and truly do not like it, send me the receipt and I will reimburse you. On a library employee's salary.

Any of the other games mentioned are worth your bux; the trouble with the GBA is that there are a minority of truly wonderful games that make your soul sing and reaffirm your faith in an increasingly creatively bankrupt medium... and then there are like literally hundreds of terrible diffident afterbirths - this is why I go with the anarchy cartridge; I cannot afford to gamble $20 - $40 against those odds.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I got a game boy for Christmas!
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2003, 05:24:35 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Video games bore the ever lovin' shit out of me.

Well, I really doubt anybody is holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to play one.

But to get back on the topic of the thread: if someone was forcing you at gunpoint to play a GBA game, what would it be? JL's gaming dollars are counting on YOU.


The only one I ever loved was Asteroids.  But V you were right to assume I am much older than you.  I am from the pinball generation and sadly pinball is pretty much extinct.  The few games they do still make (at least the ones i've seen) are hyper busy and totally uninteresting.

This is the game that rocked my world when I was your age.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
I got a game boy for Christmas!
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2003, 05:31:35 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
This is the game that rocked my world when I was your age.


Those old electromagnetic pins are things of beauty on so very many levels.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
I got a game boy for Christmas!
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2003, 06:07:15 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I would normally say that Zartan's idea is awesome, but buying some "legitimate" cartridges would also be nice, yo.


V-Adore: straight outta SQUARESVILLE

I am posting from Nebraska, so it's not precisely like I can contradict this or anything. Point to the Zartan.

Quote
the trouble with the GBA is that there are a minority of truly wonderful games that make your soul sing and reaffirm your faith in an increasingly creatively bankrupt medium... and then there are like literally hundreds of terrible diffident afterbirths - this is why I go with the anarchy cartridge; I cannot afford to gamble $20 - $40 against those odds.

This is also a good point. Probably the model I'd recommend is the "noble pirate" sort of thing -- download lots and then, if you like it, buy the real cartridge. Support good games with your money and love, but be cool, and such.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
I got a game boy for Christmas!
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2003, 06:20:40 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
This is also a good point. Probably the model I'd recommend is the "noble pirate" sort of thing -- download lots and then, if you like it, buy the real cartridge. Support good games with your money and love, but be cool, and such.


Be cool, but care - Thomas Pynchon, V

If I were a religious man, I would tithe my monthly ten percent to Nintendo, because bloody hell if that one entity hasn't both pervasively informed my identity and provided me with uncountable hours, days even, of beatific pleasure and satisfaction. Having said that: I own literally dozens of old-school NES cartridges which are - ghasp - unplayable seeing as my second CONTROL DECK (none dare call it a console) has given up ye olde ghoste.

But tah rah, there is this thing called PocketNES, which is a very very good little program that will let you run just about any old NES games you like on your plucky widdle GBA. Assuming you've got an anarchy cartridge, of course. Um, yes, please, may I have another. I am twenty-five years old and this is the year A.D. 2003 (Time Pilot notation) and I still have plenty of time for Solomon's Key, oh you betcha.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I got a game boy for Christmas!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2003, 07:41:15 am »

Back to the original question, I've heard some great things about Double Dragon. Although it might lose something if it has no nostalgia-value to you.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I got a game boy for Christmas!
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2003, 08:37:14 am »

Another King Kool Site

I had no idea there was so much info about pinball games on the internet.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I got a game boy for Christmas!
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2003, 04:27:52 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
and I will swear at gunpoint that the targeting system in the widely fellated GTA 3 / VC games sucks a foul, unhappy bozack.


Hence you play it on PC with a PS2 controller for the driving part!
Never been said I'm not a smart cookie.

I'd go with the anarchy cart myself, since I too could only buy a handfull of games ever on my kind of income (like Jough I do bits and pieces of work here and there and make just more than enough to live on).
Plus then I could get all the oldstyle games on the one cart.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I got a game boy for Christmas!
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2003, 08:47:17 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
I had no idea there was so much info about pinball games on the internet.


Really Paul?  NO IDEA?

Have you SEEN the Internet?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up