Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Koreans make a play for headlines  (Read 3163 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Koreans make a play for headlines
« on: March 26, 2010, 09:27:53 pm »

It may have been an old mine, it probably wasn't an accident, but it looks like North Korea just narrowed the Naval gap between it and the South.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Koreans make a play for headlines
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:59:29 pm »

Everyone's staying tight lipped on the topic, except for a South Korean politico who thinks it was a torpedo.  USN divers are getting ready to investigate, at South Korea's request.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Koreans make a play for headlines
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 12:03:15 am »

The UN committee investigating the incident concurs.  The piece of torpedo recovered with NK identifying marks made the case.  They've presented the findings to the Security Council, and the NK spokesman has threatened war if any negative opinion is voiced by the Council.

Why did they think this was a good idea (sinking the sub)?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:15:26 am by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Koreans make a play for headlines
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:27:06 am »

I have been going on a kick of reading/watching about crazy regimes, and my theory is that North Korea is entirely crazy.

But seriously, I don't know.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Koreans make a play for headlines
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:36:43 am »

I have been going on a kick of reading/watching about crazy regimes, and my theory is that North Korea is entirely crazy.

But seriously, I don't know.
Did you watch the Vice Travel Guide for NK? Balls out crazy
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Koreans make a play for headlines
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 12:41:40 am »

Did you watch the Vice Travel Guide for NK? Balls out crazy

My cubicle-mate recommended this to me today when I kept giving her updates on the Brazil - North Korea match, and it looks insane. Look forward to watching it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Koreans make a play for headlines
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:09:07 am »

it is quite good! the Liberia one... I am not sure why I didn't get nightmares from that.

the first minute sums it up.

"did you drink before battle?"
"yes, typically, we would kill a small child and drink its blood."

seeing a kid who looks 10 smoking heroin. yeesh. don't know if I needed that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Koreans make a play for headlines
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 01:34:17 am »

Yeah the Liberia one was a mindfuck. It got kind of dicey more than a couple times. I really got the feeling that any time on that trip they could have been murdered and sold for meat and no one would even know.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Koreans make a play for headlines
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 07:47:45 pm »

Just in case there was any doubt, the Norks are still out of their minds.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Koreans make a play for headlines
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 08:27:11 pm »

Oh man, my grandpa was a sniper during the Korean War.  For his sake, I wish that reunification might be possible in his life time, but any legitimate hope for that has really faded.  Things are getting worse out there, and grandpa's getting old.  Gramps saw his friend get blown apart by shelling, a little Korean kid get shot by Americans, and all sorts of stuff to terrible for him to tell me about.

That whole stale mate isn't going so well.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Koreans make a play for headlines
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 10:09:21 pm »

Wonder how much fun can break out if we let Asia deal with Asia and China gets their nose up in that shit.

any fun they have would affect the production of gadgets and other consumer goods.  how long before the gub'ment gets all up in that?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Koreans make a play for headlines
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 12:13:41 am »

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20101207/D9JV1VQO0.html
South Korea is building island fortresses along the border. I don't know what all that accomplishes. My understanding is that both sides have basically built elaborate military facilities so deep underground that nuclear bunker busters wouldnt touch them, so why bother with the islands? Arent islands really easily surrounded and cut off?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Koreans make a play for headlines
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 03:31:50 am »

I guess the last defense minister got the boot for not being seen to do enough so maybe they want to do something very visible?
It's their own cold war, only the crazy people actually want to go to war but no one can afford to look like they don't want to go to war.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1]   Go Up