Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you a gambler?  (Read 10178 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2010, 05:00:41 am »

Mana bar opened last year in my town and it's doing pretty well.

That was opened by the dude that does Zero Punctuation, right? I remember perusing the forums when it opened and people were always complaining about a line to get in. I'm glad a place that nerdy can do good business.

Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2010, 12:43:38 pm »

That was opened by the dude that does Zero Punctuation, right? I remember perusing the forums when it opened and people were always complaining about a line to get in. I'm glad a place that nerdy can do good business.

That's the one. It's only been open about a year so we'll see how it does long term. I've never had to wait in line to get in but I've only been a couple of times. I think combination of a fairly small space not on the main drag keeping their rent down and a fairly loyal customer base gives them a fighting chance. I imagine they have some good industry contacts too, they seem to have a different event or pre-release demo going on every other week.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2010, 01:48:05 pm »

Wow, I think my crush on Yahtzee Croshaw just grew three sizes. I want to go to there.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2010, 02:08:46 pm »

You come visit JL and I'll even buy the drinks.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2010, 03:13:44 pm »

Is this the topic where Paul was going on about pinball?

Anyway, National Pinball Museum opening in DC this week.  w00t

http://www.nationalpinballmuseum.org/
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2010, 04:24:13 pm »

Is this the topic where Paul was going on about pinball?

Anyway, National Pinball Museum opening in DC this week.  w00t

http://www.nationalpinballmuseum.org/

It's unclear whether you will be allowed to actually play the games.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2010, 05:32:53 pm »

They wouldn't let me drive the Deusenbergs at the car museum, either. Fascists.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2010, 06:31:03 pm »

It's unclear whether you will be allowed to actually play the games.

They have a "pay-to-play" area with tables you can actually play.  I'm assuming some of the older/more historic models are off-limits.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up