Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon  (Read 2547 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
« on: January 06, 2011, 11:12:25 pm »

I poked around a (very little) bit and I couldn't find a thread about this, but there was an interesting (I thought) article in the NY Times here about the last hours of the rig, put together from quotes by people who were there. I thought some of you might like to read it. It's a little disturbing in parts.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 01:43:29 am »

That is an excellent and horrible article.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 03:08:11 am »

This is why there are manual laborers in this industry making six figures.

This article has helped push some changes in our little (100 person?) group, about really reiterating that everyone should be comfortable making decisions about securing wells and such.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 05:18:29 pm »

About a year after I started working here I casually told my ex that there were probably thirty different ways I could get killed at work on any given day. She was less than enthusiastic about knowing that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 05:43:30 pm »

Whoa, wait a minute, I am not enthusiastic about that either.

I have this mental image that you are sitting in a nice warm building watching computers or control panels or something and everyone else is outside doing the dangerous stuff. What do you actually do?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 08:01:52 pm »

Whoa, wait a minute, I am not enthusiastic about that either.

I have this mental image that you are sitting in a nice warm building watching computers or control panels or something and everyone else is outside doing the dangerous stuff. What do you actually do?

No, no - I'm more or less cool now. It's just that back in the day, I was working right there at the wellhead, dealing with thousands of pounds of pressure contained in aging equipment.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 01:57:51 am »

So I only have to worry about you constantly flying around in winter storms? Probably on little tiny planes?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 02:22:55 am »

I fly in big ol' aeroplanes, mostly. I have flown from field to field up there in twin otters and helicopters, but 98% of my travel is in big jets flown by people who have lots of experience with inclement weather. Worry not. Your concern is heartwarming, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 02:54:07 am »

get a room, you guys, jeez.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 03:10:33 am »

I have spent a lot of time inventing these imaginary people, gk. I don't want to have to start over.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 10:32:04 am »

Speaking of that, I am glad your old avatar is back.  I didn't know who you were there for a while.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 01:54:33 pm »

Gotta keep you figments on your toes.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up