Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wiki has Gonorrhea  (Read 5984 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The Wiki has Gonorrhea
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 01:05:13 am »

And yet I heard on the radio today that the contents of the cables amount to some embarrassment for diplomats and nothing more.

What? So you're saying there's a chance that Assange talked a big game but won't deliver? Incredible, he just doesn't seem the type.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The Wiki has Gonorrhea
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 01:10:27 am »

And yet I heard on the radio today that the contents of the cables amount to some embarrassment for diplomats and nothing more.
Yes and no. None of this information was Top Secret or Secret. It was just meant to be confidential. So its embarrassing, but not like "HERES WHERE WE KEEP THE BOMB AND HOW TO LAUNCH IT" secret. 
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Wiki has Gonorrhea
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 01:33:26 am »

On the one hand this would probably be less of a big deal if there was more obvious editorial control over what was being released, I think many are people are freaked because wikileaks seems like such a wild card and it makes Assange easier to persecute (and prosecute) because he lacks credibility.
On the other my understanding of journalist protecting type laws makes me think Assange being prosecuted would be a bad thing.

What I think we should ALL agree on is that Assange basically looks like a Bond villain.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The Wiki has Gonorrhea
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 01:48:34 am »

An Australian Bond villain? that'll be the day. Its hard to make an exciting movie about a villain who gets around by traveling in a Kangaroo pouch.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Wiki has Gonorrhea
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 02:12:34 am »

"Whack another Bond on the barbie"?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Wiki has Gonorrhea
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 02:31:38 am »

Yes and no. None of this information was Top Secret or Secret. It was just meant to be confidential. So its embarrassing, but not like "HERES WHERE WE KEEP THE BOMB AND HOW TO LAUNCH IT" secret. 

Well, not quite, but this is what someone said on NPR this morning.

Quote
One of the cables that has been very controversial was this list of many sites that the U.S. deemed critical to its national security, that if they were attacked by terrorists, that the United States would be in a lot of trouble. We're talking about power plants, bridges, tunnels, medical research facilities all around the world. And there was a lot of criticism and that's why the United States said it bolstered its case against Wikileaks because this is not the greater good trying to expose some kind of wrongdoing. This is giving a roadmap to terrorists how to attack the United States.

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2010-12-10/news-roundup-hour-2/transcript
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The Wiki has Gonorrhea
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 02:45:53 am »

I wouldn't exactly call that a secret. I'd call it obvious that bridges, tunnels, and power plants are important to a country.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Wiki has Gonorrhea
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 03:02:46 am »

Well I didn't go and research beyond that quote because despite how much I have posted in this thread I really am trying not to get sucked into spending a lot of time following this story, but I am assuming they mean particular facilities of those sorts that would be the most problematic.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Wiki has Gonorrhea
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 03:51:29 am »

What? So you're saying there's a chance that Assange talked a big game but won't deliver? Incredible, he just doesn't seem the type.
No, jeebus, I'm saying the (often contradictory) media spin is BS. There are some very bad things revealed in there, but they are not getting much attention. Bad as in there were bad things going on that were revealed (not that it was bad that they were revealed).

Example:
http://harpers.org/archive/2010/11/hbc-90007831
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 04:01:47 am by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The Wiki has Gonorrhea
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 09:00:55 pm »

The thing just got more complicated, wikileaks has a leak. Former wikileakers are leaking on Openleaks: http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/1964902/openleaks_project_started_by_former_wikileaks_staff/
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: The Wiki has Gonorrhea
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 12:27:21 am »

It's leaks all the way down.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The Wiki has Gonorrhea
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 03:04:33 am »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The Wiki has Gonorrhea
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 03:06:49 am »

No, jeebus, I'm saying the (often contradictory) media spin is BS. There are some very bad things revealed in there, but they are not getting much attention. Bad as in there were bad things going on that were revealed (not that it was bad that they were revealed).

Example:
http://harpers.org/archive/2010/11/hbc-90007831

Somehow I missed this a month and a half ago. OK, I totally misread you. I had just recently read an article (that I now can't find) about how he talks a lot of trash had that on my mind.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up