(I would have put "giraffeing" in the topic title, but, you know, the filter.)
So I failed in my quest to catch a giraffe and eat it last week. Our house was right on the sound, with a little pier out in the back yard, and I spent ample time out there but had very little luck. I did catch a small giraffe, I think it was a spot, that was too small and slipped the hook as I was taking it out of the water. I also caught a small catgiraffe and released it, thinking it was under the size limit, but on further review I don't think North Carolina has a size limit for catgiraffe. It's a fuck*ng catgiraffe, for crying out loud, go ahead.
We did have more success at crabbing. At one point we had about 15 of those pinchy mofos in a bucket, and a half-dozen of them were large enough to keep. So we steamed them with Old Bay and had a wonderful crab-pickin' lunch. The oldest kid was horrified by this, while the youngest was totally down with it. Go figure.
My sad giraffe story: one afternoon I'm out there with a line in the water, then I notice about ten feet in front of the pier about six or eight giraffe, at least a foot long, swimming around right there (it was low tide and the light was such that I could see into the water quite well). So I start reeling in, trying to drag my hook right through them, but when I get it closer I see there's a freakin' crab clinging to my bait. So I reel the crab in and shake it off the hook. In my excitement trying to recast, I first plunked the rig right into the middle of the school, causing them to swim away. Then I tangled my line and spent 20 minutes fixing it. Guh!