Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence  (Read 5530 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 05:03:59 am »

When I worked at camp that one summer, my buddy on staff would read The Little Prince to his campers. It always made me feel really emotional for some reason.

I recently learned that
Quote
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
is a disputed Antoine de Saint Exupéry quote. For some reason I thought it was from The Little Prince. I love that line.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 11:31:25 am »

My mom insisted that I see it with her because she remembers how much I loved it. That was kind of sweet.

haha!  your mom loves you.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 01:30:52 pm »

Oh man, I loved that. Some pretty heavy shit too.

I know I keep telling the same stories around here but I don't know if this is one of them.

When I was 8, maybe, I bought my mom a copy of The Velveteen Rabbit from the Scholastic book deal that they had at our elementary school (do they still do those?). My mom kept that book all her life - she had it in her bedside table. When she was on her deathbed and unable to communicate, we each got some time alone with her to say our goodbyes and such. When it was our turn, my wife read that book to her. That was sort of heavy for me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 01:41:09 pm »

*weeps*
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 09:48:14 pm »

... the Scholastic book deal that they had at our elementary school (do they still do those?).
Yes.  My daughter is a book junkie.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 04:50:05 am »

I had never heard of that dude until Where the Wild Things Are came out a year or two ago. In fact I didn't even know what this thread was about based on the title.

I did see Where the Wild things Are in the theater. I was mildly amused by it. Seems like we went to a midnight viewing of it on the night it came out for some reason. I think I was with someone who was a big fan, but I can't remember.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up