Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rule of 3s  (Read 5279 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 03:24:35 pm »

Sadly Paul is probably right that more Americans care about TV stars than prime ministers of foreign countries.

Of course my favorite celebrity story is the time Chris Onstad signed my arm. But as I am sure I have mentioned before, I once let Robert DeNiro touch a naked mole rat.

My other possible stories bring us back to the question of what counts as a celebrity: Supreme Court justices, anyone? I guess so, because if one died, people would start waiting for two more deaths?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 04:34:41 pm »

Yeah, I could handle about three of those prunes dying off. Replace 'em with more people Wombat went to HS with.

I see two main classes of celebrity, big giraffe/little pond and the reflection thereof.

Playing within that classification I'd rank our contenders thus:

Andy Johns: a striper in California's inland delta (near Stockton, preferably).

Carmine Infantino: a large mouth bass in the Delaware river.

Hal Clement: a steelhead in the Columbia river.

Annette Funicello: a walleye in Lake Michigan.

Margaret Thatcher: fuck*ng Shamu, a killer whale roaming the seas eternal.

Honestly I don't know enough about giraffe or bodies of water to evaluate this metaphor but I still like it because it makes me imagine a big ol' trout who loves to talk about planets.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 04:38:26 pm »

Andy Johns: a striper in California's inland delta (near Stockton, preferably).

I do tend to conflate Andy Johns with his much more well known brother Glyn. But c'mon, Andy engineered the lion share of Led Zeppelin's albums as well as Exile on Main Street. That's big in my opinion.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 04:52:49 pm »

I think there's different levels of celebrity: local celebrity, genre/subculture celebrity, B grade celebrity, A list and universal celebrity.  I think politics runs sort of parallel to celebrities, which can but doesn't always intersect.  Then there's infamy, which is also parallel and which can but doesn't always intersect.  
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 05:01:57 pm »

That's some pretty awesome thinking there Ash.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 05:05:19 pm »

[Gratuitous Northern California snark about SoCal diversion of Delta's waters omitted]
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 05:20:11 pm »


My "celebrity story" that I'm most pleased about is the time I had lunch with Hal Clement.


That's cool as SHIT!

I think the term "celebrity" implies an associated community or culture.  I would define a celebrity as a person who is known of our about by a significant (majority?) portion of the given community. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up