Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Default World  (Read 3292 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Default World
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:53:35 am »

Burning man has come to a close again for another year and everyone I know that was there is talking about it on Facebook. BM seems like the kind of thing I would go for, but something about that scene that rubs me the wrong way. One thing that definitely rubs me the wrong way is how they refer to whatever goes on outside of BM as "default world." I'm not sure I've ever actually heard anyone saying it aloud, but I can imagine their voice full of disgust when they say it. Like "Oh My Gohd, I can't believe we have to return to the default world tomorrow."

Is it just me are burners pretty insufferable?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Default World
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 01:46:26 pm »

I only know one person who's been to Burning Man (well, I may know more, but he's the only one who's talked about it), and he's a great guy. He doesn't go every single year, and I don't think he's as over-the-top about it as some people.

I used to think BM looked pretty cool, but lately I've started to wonder if there wouldn't be too many insufferable people there.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Default World
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 02:08:23 pm »

In college in Oklahoma it was impossible to get any chemical psychedelics.  We just had mushrooms and e on our black market, but I knew a dude who would go to burning man every year and bring back acid and research chemicals.  The dude that went is one of my favorite people in the world, and we would have daft punk + drug dance parties in his apartment a lot right after burning man every year.  I would really like to go sometime, but I did notice like two or three years ago it seemed to turn into a huge dub step party.  I wouldn't be so in on that.

Side note:  In college I lived at this really run down apartment complex really close to the school and the part of town people went out in.  It basically switched between hippy-ish college students (so many mushroom and weed hookups for only like 25 apartments- this is where I learned to hula hoop!) and a large collection of crack apartments.  It just swung one way or the other based on like 5 apartments.  Oh, Sergio moved out, now crack heads live in his place, then Thomas moved and crack heads moved in and etc.etc.etc.  The dude I am talking about lived on the second floor, right above the really shitty pool in the really shitty courtyard/parking lot.  We would hook up a projector and play Super Mario 1 in the pool.  That was pretty great. 

Oh, and yeah, I get kind of annoyed by like default world bullshit.  Just try not to let that ruin something for you?  Judge people based on themselves and don't group them all together, even though it is a pretty self selecting group?


Edit:  Oh, also, my dad and I would go to this thing called the Woody Guthrie Folk Festival every year from (my ages) like 15-23.  He was the only hipster type person I ever knew of who made the trip to that place.  It was a tiny town about 2.5 hours from our college- Okemah- where Guthrie was born.  I thought that was pretty dope of him, though I don't know if this is related to Burning Man?  Dude had a sense of exploration about him is maybe where I am going with this?  And that led him to Burning Man?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:12:02 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Default World
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 02:23:37 pm »

I used to think BM looked pretty cool, but lately I've started to wonder if there wouldn't be too many insufferable people there.

This is a sad thing about human nature, that it's not enough to enjoy something, you also have to feel like you're better than everyone who doesn't enjoy it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Default World
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:30:41 pm »

Some of my friends in college were into the Society for Creative Anachronism  (Renaissance Fair 365 days a year).  The SCA term for the rest of us is "mundanes".
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Default World
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 02:38:05 pm »

(to the tune of "Waltzing Matilda")
Freaking the mundanes, freaking the mundanes
You'll come a-freaking the mundanes with me
As we sang as we walked down the sidewalk in our funny clothes
You'll come a-freaking the mundanes with me
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Default World
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 03:05:55 pm »

That's what I do everyday tho
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Default World
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 03:21:17 pm »

Keith is cosplaying Keith.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Default World
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 03:38:50 pm »

Some of my friends in college were into the Society for Creative Anachronism  (Renaissance Fair 365 days a year).  The SCA term for the rest of us is "mundanes".

That's what some in the artcar community call non artcars. Oh no, we are guilty of the same arrogance as burners.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Default World
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 03:52:16 pm »

Burning man really turns me off. It's like if the Gathering of the Juggalos took itself really seriously. I just can't take it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Default World
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 03:53:52 pm »

Yeah, the Gathering of the Juggalos seems like a lot of fun. Well except for all of the shitty music of course.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Default World
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 05:25:39 pm »

I usually hear about Burning Man in the context of all the free and kinky sex that supposedly happens there. I dunno, man. Not a thing I'd be too interested in, but I guess if that's your thing. I know a few of people who go or have gone in the past, but it doesn't seem like a thing that would be worth traveling to IMHO.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Default World
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 05:32:47 pm »

Other out-group names I have encountered

Geocaching: Muggles
Motorcyclists: Cagers (people who drive autos)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Default World
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 06:10:16 pm »

At the game store, every now and then someone will come in who is clearly not nerdy and I have to remind my customers, "Don't scare the norms."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Default World
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 06:13:05 pm »

I usually hear about Burning Man in the context of all the free and kinky sex that supposedly happens there. I dunno, man. Not a thing I'd be too interested in, but I guess if that's your thing. I know a few of people who go or have gone in the past, but it doesn't seem like a thing that would be worth traveling to IMHO.

Yeah, I understand it as that plus drugs, or at least it was 4 or 5 years ago.  I guess my biggest issue with stuff like this is that people should just live that way everyday (if that is how they want to live) instead of paying hundos and going to the desert to do it.  That said, everyone I know who goes/has gone is cool and I would go if I could ever combine both money and time.  Usually I've just got one or the other.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up