Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frank Rich's commentary on the new Michael Moore flick.  (Read 5341 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Frank Rich's commentary on the new Michael Moore flick.
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 10:46:46 pm »

I really admire Moore's work, and while I don't always agree with his politics, he's definitely on the right side.  He's a fighter for "the little guy" and is a crusader.

I don't understand the people who say they don't like the way Moore is a spokesperson for "their views" - because, um, he isn't.  Moore has his own agenda, and I think his films reflect *his* views, which may or may not coincide with your own.

One thing I can whole-heartedly disagree with, though, is the assertion that Moore's films aren't good as films.  Sure, Roger & Me was cut with a meat cleaver, but Bowling for Columbine was a masterfully made film essay (I don't know if it would qualify truly as a documentary).  His filmmaking is top-notch.  Whether you agree with his politics or not, you should find something interesting inside.

This new one sounds less jokey and more documentary-like, dealing more with the facts than with political posturing.

But make no mistake - the film, from what I understand (I have not seen it yet) is an anti-Bush propaganda film - Moore said that whatever distribution deal he makes he wants the DVD to come out the last week of October so that it's fresh in people's mind once the election happens.

So good on him.  At least he doesn't lie about his propagandising.  He even admitted that the recent story about Disney not releasing the film (they dropped the distribution a whole year ago - before the film was even half-finished) was leaked to help the film's opening at Cannes.

It worked.  He won the Palme D'or, the festival's highest honour.

I can't wait to see it.  It should be opening around the 4th of July weekend.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up