Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP  (Read 16247 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2004, 08:17:21 pm »

Arkabee, You..Are..Rad.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2004, 08:34:12 pm »

I ran cfdisk and and it said that I had three partitions still, two of which had Things in them!

Yaaay!
Arkabee=Jesus.

Now all I need to know is how to get there.
Logged
goose means greedy

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2004, 08:54:27 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I ran cfdisk and and it said that I had three partitions still, two of which had Things in them!

Now all I need to know is how to get there.


i need you to copy the text that cfdisk puts on the screen, and post it here so that we can see it.

also,

please note that VA said to do the cfdisk thing a loooong time ago, and i had never heard of it until she mentioned it.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2004, 09:11:13 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
please note that VA said to do the cfdisk thing a loooong time ago, and i had never heard of it until she mentioned it.


Oh.  
Will do.
And sorry, Va, for the unintentional slight.  I very very very much appreciate all the help I have gotten.

Quote from: "cfdisk 2.12"

Disk Drive: /dev/hda
Size: 80026361856 bytes, 80.0 GB
Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 9729

Name   Flags   Part Type   FS Type      [Label]      Size (MB)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hd1            Primary      Linux ext3            6284.12
hd5            Logical       Linux swap            518.20
hd6            Logical      Linux ext3            73221.45


I hope this means... good things??
Logged
goose means greedy

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2004, 10:00:35 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"

Quote from: "cfdisk 2.12"

Disk Drive: /dev/hda
Size: 80026361856 bytes, 80.0 GB
Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 9729

Name   Flags   Part Type   FS Type      [Label]      Size (MB)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hd1            Primary      Linux ext3            6284.12
hd5            Logical       Linux swap            518.20
hd6            Logical      Linux ext3            73221.45


I hope this means... good things??


um.  see where it says "linux" next to each partition that it sees?  that would be a "bad sign".

it's an 80GB drive?  it says it's an 80 gb drive.  it says it has 73.2GB on hd6, it says it has a 500+ MB swap partition, and it says it has a 6.2GB on hd1.
the math would say 80GB is being used...

when you ran mount, it said you had a root (/) partition and a /home partion.
mount would NOT say anything about the swap partition.

andalucia, it would appear that when you installed Mandrake, it was told to use the entire disk to use, and it did, and it repartitioned the entire disk.

if you have larger than an 80GB hard drive, like, a 120GB HD, then maybe, maybe, there's hope.

otherwise, it would appear that you lost your ntfs partition.

sorry.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2004, 10:06:25 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I hope this means... good things??


Unless there is another drive in your computer, I have to say, no, that does not look promising.  I see only Linux partiitons there.  That is an 80GB drive and I see 80GB of Linux partitions.  I think you may have inadvertantly allowed Mandrake suck up the whole disk when you did the install.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2004, 10:34:40 pm »

Dammit.
Well, good to know.

Thanks to both of you very much.



So.
How do I wipe my hard drive from here so I can reinstall Windows?
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2004, 11:09:44 pm »

If you're re-installing Win2K or XP, just insert the CD and reboot.  Windows will handle the partitioning (I mean, you'll have to delete the partitions you don't want and re-format the one(s) you do - I recommend deleting all partitions and then re-partitioning again).

Then all Windows to re-format the partition and you're good to go.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up