Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Wombat's musical mental illness  (Read 7063 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2004, 08:39:02 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
This is actually a result of Big Black rocking your mom.


They really really do. The only CD I have of theirs is Songs About fuck*ng but I like it more with every listen. I love Ministry and I can see how Jourgensen basically just picked up where this CD left off, although I think Big Black's lyrics are a little better (not that I think Ministy's lyrics are lacking, I just think Albini is a little wittier). I think if "Power of Independant Trucking" was somehow magically inserted into The Land of Rape and Honey I wouldn't bat an eye.

Heh, I feel kinda bad about dragging this thread off-topic without adding anything, so let me just say that I get stuck on a certain band all the time. I'll play their music everywhere I go, and if I'm not listening to them at a given time I find myself humming their tunes, mumbling their lyrics, and annoying my friends with trivia about said band.

Let's see, the bands I've gotten stuck on lately: Morrissey (Saw him in New Jersey a couple weeks ago and he was awesome!) which followed my Joy Division phase. This came after a huge Beatles kick; before that I only listened to Modest penis for about two years, and prior to that I was a Pixies obssesor/evangalist.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2004, 09:06:34 pm »

I'm fairly much allowing this thread to wander freely, as it is really only about fixations... Splitting it at any point would make whichever became the first post fairly nonsensical.

I keep meaning to get the last Ministry album, which people have said is the best since Psalm 69 (my favourite), partly thanks to Jourgensen's return. That being said, I finally got round to checking out the last Skinny Puppy album (The Greater Wrong of the Right) and within 3 days proclaimed it album of the year, so I'm giving Houses of the Mole (I can't be bothered finding out which accent it is over the 'e') some time for the competition to wain.

Although, on the subject of fixations, I have listened to Pressure Chief a fairly insane number of times. But then my friend has it on at work fairly continuously too.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2004, 10:49:55 pm »

I'm still a "Mind Is A Terrible Thing to Taste" kinda guy.

I mean, "So What" is about the perfect pastiche song.

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2004, 10:54:49 pm »

More on how cool i am:

The girl who is on the phone in "dream song" dated my friends uncle. she is very nice if a little odd.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2004, 04:13:49 am »

i would say give good news for people a little more time.

i must confess i don't recall ever hearing a big black song, yet have heard of big black a lot.  which re-reading my modest penis thread first post, describes my knowledge of modest penis several months ago.

i remember liking ministry circa jesus built my hot rod, but that was when i thought that metallica's black album was the shiznitz's bee's knees.

later i found skinny puppy, and didn't like ministry so much anymore.  not that they were suddenly "less good" objectively, just that i liked skinny puppy more.  of course, i found front 242 in between ministry and skinny puppy, and i guess i like rock in my industrial more than i like industrial in my rock.  of course i'm relistening to filter albums currently, so wtf.

i've been in a relistening mood the past month or so, combined with listening to things off of fluxblog and music for *****s.

the radio has hit bottom again for me, and i do not yearn for the next new thing anymore.  i repeated franz ferdinand's for a couple of days, and it just grew less and less on me.

and i'm at a point in my life, i suppose, that i'm not saying "it's all crap, it's all just crap" so much as i'm realizing "i don't care, i just don't care about it" and i just enjoy the stuff i enjoy and i'm not into finding new stuff to enjoy so much as i used to.

i've had 3 of luna's "newer" cd's on rotation in the car, though, and i've noticed i've been more "down" lately.  maybe it's the weather, or maybe it's that wareham is channeling some ancient power.

i guess what i'm saying is i want to become the new dr. frankenstein of rock, and create, willy-nilly and shaking-fist-against-the-gods, new super groups.

let me take dean wareham, j. robbins, les claypool and jean-paul gaster for a week, and i shall take over the world.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2004, 02:01:46 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
i've had 3 of luna's "newer" cd's on rotation in the car, though, and i've noticed i've been more "down" lately.  maybe it's the weather, or maybe it's that wareham is channeling some ancient power.


Ooh, indeed.  I had the chance to see Galaxie 500 play a reunion show a few weeks ago, but I was broke, and it was at 2AM (after the metros stop, so I'd have had to walk home) in the opposite end of the city from where I live.  Even so, it was difficult to convince myself not to go, just on account of Dean Wareham Is A God.  
Right now the two things I cannot stop listening to are the second Polyphonic Spree album and Miles Davis, especially Kind of Blue.  But I don't mind, those are both fairly pleasant addictions.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2004, 04:34:48 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"

of course, i found front 242 in between ministry and skinny puppy, and i guess i like rock in my industrial more than i like industrial in my rock.


Still not gotten round to checking out Front 242. I just associate them in my head with Apartment 26, who were, well, just not as cool as Pitchshifter (were...).
While I listen to a ridiculous variety of music, I always seem to come back to industrial. Be that Puppy, NIN, cEvin Key, Ministry... I'm probably quite fussy though, as I hate most of the typically industrial stuff that comprised the non NIN/Cure stuff on the Crow Soundtrack (My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult and shit like that that always just bored me).

I do recommend checking out Dragon Experience by cEvin Key. It's a bunch of stuff he was working on in 84-85, but never used. It doesn't sound dated though, as he spent time to bring it all together. It's not rock industrial, more ambient, but I would rate it in my top five of 2003 I think.


Oh, and... The other thing to check out is Tweaker if you haven't... Vrenna who used to drum for NIN, and Clint Walsh who was in Jack off Jill, with a group of guest singers on 2am wakeup call including Robert Smith, Will Oldham, David Sylvian and Jennifer Charles among others. I have come to believe that it's an acquired taste (first albm slightly more so, as it was altogether stranger, but in some ways more fantastic) since my brother and I are the only non internet people I know who like it.
I forgot, 2am also features Johnny Marr...!??!?!?...?!... Great track though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2004, 04:50:04 pm »

Quote from: "slink"

Still not gotten round to checking out Front 242. I just associate them in my head with Apartment 26, who were, well, just not as cool as Pitchshifter (were...).


you _need_ to check out front 242.  the twin albums from 1993 are, perhaps, the greatest thing ever.  
prior to those, the have some very good albums.  relistening to them last year, i immediately thought "hmm, these are dated."  then i put them on on some good speakers, and realized how not dated they are, and how amazingly they were produced for the time period.

the newest stuff is quite yummy as well, but definitely different.

i have no idea who Apartment 26 are.


Quote from: "slink"

While I listen to a ridiculous variety of music, I always seem to come back to industrial. Be that Puppy, NIN, cEvin Key, Ministry... I'm probably quite fussy though, as I hate most of the typically industrial stuff that comprised the non NIN/Cure stuff on the Crow Soundtrack (My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult and shit like that that always just bored me).

I do recommend checking out Dragon Experience by cEvin Key. It's a bunch of stuff he was working on in 84-85, but never used. It doesn't sound dated though, as he spent time to bring it all together. It's not rock industrial, more ambient, but I would rate it in my top five of 2003 I think.


Oh, and... The other thing to check out is Tweaker if you haven't... Vrenna who used to drum for NIN, and Clint Walsh who was in Jack off Jill, with a group of guest singers on 2am wakeup call including Robert Smith, Will Oldham, David Sylvian and Jennifer Charles among others. I have come to believe that it's an acquired taste (first albm slightly more so, as it was altogether stranger, but in some ways more fantastic) since my brother and I are the only non internet people I know who like it.
I forgot, 2am also features Johnny Marr...!??!?!?...?!... Great track though.


johnny marr was once in a band called, i believe, "electronica".  it was "meh".

i will attempt to check out these other things you speak of.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2004, 05:26:38 pm »

tweaker- yummy.  thank you for the link.  love it when bands put lots of downloadables up.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up