Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004  (Read 15783 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Silverberg

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 07:50:41 pm »

What in the world is wrong with Beef saying "such as"? Some of you people are cah-razy.

EDIT: Oh, and the strip. It was pretty amusing, but nothing wonderful.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 09:25:03 pm »

I noticed myself using 'such as' the other day. I can't work out if I use it often or not. I think so...
But then I use 'fortnight' and 'adieu' almost daily.

Ok, adieu not so much.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 09:28:35 pm »

I sent this strip to my mom (as I usually do) and she asked how many volumes there reallly need to be... I hadn't noticed and now I'm currently thinking of what could've been on all the previous volumes...

Still not entirely funny, but I accept it as a strip that was not a waste to read.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

filas

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2004, 11:20:12 pm »

i think the people who don't find this funny are the people who sometimes aren't laughing at times when i'm lmao during a coen bros movie.
Logged

Franz.

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 35
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2004, 11:25:55 pm »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Bless you Joe


This post makes me happy in my feeling-place.

[ Franz. ]
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2004, 11:34:38 pm »

Quote from: "filas"
i think the people who don't find this funny are the people who sometimes aren't laughing at times when i'm lmao during a coen bros movie.


Well, I find most Coen Bros. movies to be very funny (the comedies, anyway) and I usually find Achewood funny.  Today's strip was not one of those usual times.

This strip relies on what I call the "McSweeney's Formula of Comedy" - which is to take a premise that may garner a chuckle (i.e. nicknames for Jesus, Attila the Hun's Favourite Novels, etc.) and then write the most predictable and mundane content around that premise.

That is today's strip in a nutshell.  I mean, I don't expect Achewood to be brilliant every day, but it's pretty telling when the strip is really lame and people make a belaboured post about how funny they found it, or how those who didn't find it funny didn't "get it" (what's there to get?  They are watching ridiculous british porn and talking about dinner.  Ha... ha?).

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2004, 11:35:47 pm »

Quote from: "Franz."
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Bless you Joe


This post makes me happy in my feeling-place.


Yes, it ties right in with today's non-punchline.

But who is Joe?

Acanthopagrus

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2004, 12:15:26 am »

I find it funny because it reminds me of the conversations I have had while watching porn. Everyone in the room glued to the tele, but then someone strikes up a mundane conversation which has nothing to do with what is going through everyone’s mind, and yet everyone seems to want to continue the conversation as if they are faking non-interest in the film.

But maybe it is just me and my warped friends/mind/sense of humor.

The strip is definitely not a classic, but I found it funny on a disturbing level. This is the level that I like finding things funny on.
Logged
keh?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2004, 12:36:56 am »

I'm just terribly happy that they weren't put off of their food choice due to the porn as I thought that was the obvious joke. Anything involving "no sour cream" would've made me cry a little bit inside.
Logged

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2004, 12:38:13 am »

Quote from: "filas"
woah.  personally i love it.  but what i really love is that it seems to be simply substituting "such as" in place of where normally "like" would be used improperly.  what a great way to clean up your language!  cleaning up dosn't sound like it would come from the unwashed.  ya big bologna.

I, for one, welcome our new lunchmeat overlords.

I do find it annoying, really, but by getting so overzealous in my anger regarding it, I bring my own humor for myself; a meta-joke of sorts.

Now take a shower, you filthy heathen.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2004, 01:05:14 am »

Quote from: "starlight"
I sent this strip to my mom (as I usually do) and she asked how many volumes there reallly need to be... I hadn't noticed and now I'm currently thinking of what could've been on all the previous volumes...


That's just the way of porn. Face it, we all knew where the boys weren't after the first volume.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2004, 02:42:17 am »

I liked this strip.  The British pron is funny and the juxtaposition with the dinner conversation just improves it.  Also, it has Lyle.  Lyle is always funny.  You could have a strip of nothing but Lyle standing there drinking and it would be funny.  Well, maybe he'd need to flip you off or something.

To summarize:

1.  Strip funny
2.  British pron funny
3.  Lyle funny
4.  Lyle making obscene gesture extra funny
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2004, 02:58:33 am »

I like the strip simply for the "Bless you" at the end. I would imagine the lady has just performed something especially pleasing, and this is said in an almost hushed tone.

Cracks me up evrytime I think of it now.
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2004, 06:50:13 pm »

This isn't the first conversation-over-porn strip we've seen, and I like the way they read.

I would also like to point out, merely for the record, that this time I was not the first one to point out jough behaving like an utterly blinkered asshole again.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2004, 08:47:42 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Franz."
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Bless you Joe


This post makes me happy in my feeling-place.


Yes, it ties right in with today's non-punchline.

But who is Joe?


that would be you, dogg. that would be you.


"snazzle is a ephemeral vision of awe and wonder that envelopes the
visual
and auditory senses.  it is a constant swirl of color and sound that
responds to your touch, but has no density or texture for you to feel.
it
is, in a sense, chaos that revolves around us.  how we feel about it
depends on our desire to command and control it, or our choice to leave
it
to its own beauty."

wtf? i went to hit ctrl-c and hit v instead and the above phrase appeared.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up