Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fast Food Madness  (Read 13584 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2004, 01:54:03 am »

Dude! You know I'm from Dayton. We talked about this.

She's in Eaton, east of Dayton.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2004, 02:00:40 am »

I've never been to Eaton. I do remember that you are from Dayton, though.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2004, 02:28:48 am »

Frankfort has an A&W/LJS combo just down the street from a Sonic.  No Checkers, though.  Anybody else have Rally's?  Also, Captain D's giraffe is much better than LJS.

My grandparents used to live in Vandalia, and I have an aunt that lives in Dayton now.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2004, 02:31:37 am »

I've never even heard of Checkers. Man.

This does make me miss Sonic something awful, though. Also the Cotton Patch, although I think that's strictly a Louisiana phenomenon.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2004, 02:36:05 am »

I used to get Rally's in Cleveland. I've seen Checker's but I've never had any. For my money, if I'm gonna waste money on Beef and Bun products, White Castle is the place to go.

Anyone here a fan of Krystal? I've never eaten there when I was completely sober and I've only seen them in Louisiana.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2004, 02:52:05 am »

Why no love for Five Guys?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2004, 02:56:38 am »

I enjoyed the one Krystal experience I've had, but it struck me as basically just White Castle south of the Mason-Dixon. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you...
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2004, 03:36:15 am »

Krystal is prevalent in this here area.  As a transplant, it always struck me as a White Castle analog, which is rather odd since i'd never lived anywhere White Castle had shops.  Howerver, i suppose my father's wistful recountings of getting sacks of White Castle (where if you asked for no onions, the gentleman would obloging wipe the onions off with the edge of his hand, careful not to drop ashes from his cigar as he grinned at you), jumping onto the streetcar and heading to the "talkies" all for a nickel in the youth of his St. Paul.  I think the "talkies" were a bit of a stretch, much like the 5 mile, uphill struggle through snow and grizzly to an educational facility manned by militant nuns hellbent upon causing permanent joint failure in the hands of the entirety of Minnesotan youth through swift justice applied by wooden rulers.

They tore down the Krystal and are building a walgreens.

The only white castle i can disctinctly recall eating at was in Louisville, and while the "hamburgers"' mere odor turned my stomach, i remember being distinctly taken by the tiny little chicken sandwiches made of chicken patties in an "o" shape.  "oh, it's a chicken patty!"

I have never heard of "Five guys", i have heard of Rally's but do not recall seeing one; although it is possible i saw one in Cincinati but have blocked those thoughts from surfacing along with other Cincinati memories.

Cotton Patch?  while i will readily admit to having been in The South only 10 years or so, i can not imagine i would want to eat in a Cotton Patch.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2004, 04:04:46 am »

Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2004, 04:34:55 am »

Dawg : I just love to find places in conversation where Achewood quotes fit.

"Dude, you know I can't remember where they are from year to year! We talked about this!" - Ray, to Cornelius, on Survivor. CJ, help me out here?

Checker's is to Rally's what Krystal is to White Castle. Krystal's are all over Atlanta, man, and the next time you come to town you should go to Krystal-- but only at like three a.m. after an assload of drinks.

Never heard of Five Guys, but this is a review from that site:
Quote from: "Zagat Survey 2003"
FIVE GUYS:

"Grease city" it may be, but "there are no better" burgers than the ones prepared at this "beyond-basics" Northern Virginia chain where the "big, sloppy" patties come "dripping with toppings" (don't forget the "awesome" made-from-scratch fries); it's a "total dive" and you should "feel lucky if you find a place to sit", but "what a treat when all you want is a great" meal on a bun; P.S. it's such a "bargain" that it was voted No. 1 Bang for the Buck in the Washington area.


Are those quotes from people and marketing material or are they trying to infuse their review with dripping sarcasm? You make the call.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2004, 04:34:56 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
http://www.fiveguys.com/images/Articls.html


oh.  i'm not sure they count.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2004, 04:49:45 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
"Dude, you know I can't remember where they are from year to year! We talked about this!" - Ray, to Cornelius, on Survivor. CJ, help me out here?

We TALKED about this!

And yeah, I hate the 600 mini-quote system that Zagat's uses. But they are really excellent greasy burgers. My favorite is the Post review "These guys are the Willy Wonkas of burgercraft. Some say the fries at this super casual joint are the very best around. Cheap, cheap cheap. Five Guys was voted 'Best Burgers' in washingtonpost.com's Best Bets 2004 Readers' Choice contest."
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2004, 06:17:33 am »

Before today I did not know that there were A&W restaurants. Do they only serve rootbeer?

Also, my two favourite fast food joints are Roy Rogers (Fixin's Bar represent, yo) and In 'N' Out Burger, but alas there aren't any of either around these parts anymore (or ever).

I have also heard good things about Steak 'N' Shake but I have never eaten there.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2004, 06:29:06 am »

Thanks, Cort!

A&W is a burger joint, it's just that they're branded by the root beer, which I believe used to only be sold at the eateries (all were drive-ups w/ roller-waitresses, many also had indoor seating; now they're mainly in typical fast-food settings and gas stations).

I have yet to get to In & Out, though I'm really looking forward to the opportunity. I missed it when I was in Vegas, but there is so much food in Vegas that you don't have to leave the strip for that I didn't feel like leaving the strip for a burger.

Steak & Shake is A.W.E.S.O.M.E. It's just a burger, joint, see, but it's the best little burgers, and I like the fries better than McDonald's fries back when they had the beef tallow in the grease, you know, when they were at their best? It ain't a fast food joint, though. It's like a Chili's without beer or steaks or anything but sandwiches and chili but oh em gee those fries man

I think my heart's explodin'!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Fast Food Madness
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2004, 03:31:58 pm »

the steak and shakes i have been exposed to have all had a semi-50s aura to them, lot's of chrome, waitstaff in black p.a.n.t.s. and white long-sleeved shirts.  sort of a diner revival.  the burgers are supposedly "angus" yet are incredibly __thin__.  the fries are __skinny__ and impossible for me to eat in any way for me except to grab a handful and try to make one think fry out of.  they are also known for "exceptional" chili, but not in a cincinatti-chili way, but in a beef and beans way.  supposedly the chili is just hormel, but they aren't telling.  they are also known for their shakes, but since milk generally causes me to throw up since "the incident", i do not know whether they are of any count or not.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up