Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Poll

What're you doing for Thanksgiving?

A big family dinner.
- 8 (57.1%)
A quiet evening at home.
- 3 (21.4%)
A coke-fueled orgy at Studio 54.
- 1 (7.1%)
I'm Canadian/English/from Tongo, you insensitive prick.
- 2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: November 24, 2004, 06:23:01 am


Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth  (Read 6815 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004, 08:34:34 pm »

I liked it as a story but I don't assign any religious meaning to it. I think all the people who are taking The DaVinci code really seriously are really in need of some guidance.

Also, just for the sake of the "Thanksgiving argument", here's a little Thanksgiving somethin'-somethin' from the right:
(do not assume I am in 100% agreement)

Quote from: "Jonah Goldberg"

THANKSGIVING

It's my favorite holiday, I think. It's without a doubt my favorite American Holiday. I love Christmastime, Chanukah etc. But Thanksgiving is as close as we get to a nationalist holiday in America (a country where nationalism as a concept doesn't really fit). Thanksgiving's roots are pre-founding, which means its not a political holiday in any conventional sense. We are giving thanks for the soil, the land, for the gifts of providence which were bequeathed to us long before we figured out our political system.

Moreover, because there are no gifts, the holiday isn't nearly so vulnerable to materialism and commercialism. It's about things -- primarily family and private accomplishments and blessings -- that don't overlap very much with politics of any kind. We are thankful for the truly important things: our children and their health, for our friends, for the things which make life rich and joyful.
As for all the stuff about killing Indians and whatnot, I can certainly understand why Indians might have some ambivalence about the holiday (though I suspect many do not). The sad -- and fortunate -- truth is that the European conquest of North America was an unremarkable old world event (one tribe defeating another tribe and taking their land; happened all the time) which ushered in a gloriously hopeful new age for humanity.

America remains the last best hope for mankind. Still, I think it would be silly to deny how America came to be, but the truth makes me no less grateful that America did come to be.
 
Also, I really, really like the food.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2004, 02:41:25 am »

I'll be working from six am to six pm (hopefully off early to watch some football). I will have turkey and stuffing and every other traditional food, because they do that up big here. I am inordinately thankful that I won't be home for the family thing, and my wife has made it pretty clear that she wishes she was in my shoes.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2004, 01:33:53 pm »

We are about to leave to stay in an inn and eat in a restaurant, by which I probably mean, spend the whole day in traffic and remember why we never leave town on Thanksgiving.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2004, 03:47:49 pm »

The turkey's on the grill, the cranberry salad is frozen and I've already been to the Kroj to get the eggs I forgot.  Macy's parade is on the tube.  I think I'll go fill the bird feeders and give the boids a Thanksgiving feast.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2004, 04:48:07 pm »

Is it a coincidence that this topic came up as http://achewood.plagiarist.com/posting.php?mode=reply&t=1492? I know, I know, Columbus vs. the pilgrims, apples and oranges, but they are at least tangentially connected.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2004, 05:17:38 pm »

As usual, I will be having Chinese food in celebration of yet another race that got boned by American industrialisation.

Happy General Tso's Chicken Day, everyone!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2004, 07:58:03 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Is it a coincidence that this topic came up as http://achewood.plagiarist.com/posting.php?mode=reply&t=1492? I know, I know, Columbus vs. the pilgrims, apples and oranges, but they are at least tangentially connected.


That is slightly funky; it would be funkier if it were #1620.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2004, 11:03:23 pm »

Just finished the dessert course of a lovely dinner with SO and family. I am feeling very mellow, blessed, and loved, although that may just be the tryptophan. I hope that everyone else had an equally joyous holiday.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2004, 12:54:33 am »

just got off work. I didn't get to see any ball because there were only five minutes left or so. I'm sure there will be an ass-load of food downstairs. Everyone be thankful for the accident of birth that made you an American (if, indeed, you are one).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2004, 04:31:26 am »

Just got back from the big thanksgiving potluck. Like 40 different dishes, roasted turkey, pit-cooked turkey, several hams, lots of side dishes and I brought coffee jello which the brave did try and they liked it.

Ark, there's instructions in the Knox box that will give you the correct proportions to pretty much make Bertie Botts Any Flavor Jello. So go nuts.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up