Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Linguistic/grammar question  (Read 11979 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2004, 12:59:58 am »

Quote from: "Gimpson"

That's what Perl is for.  Could have chewed through your manuscript and fixed it with a two or three line program.  


Hate to rat on any use for Perl, but search/replace does it just fine too. You may need to use the ASCII code for space, but it's perfectly doable.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2004, 01:03:12 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
The rule is:


And CJ said it was true, so there.

Oh, you're so OWNED.

Or is it PWNED? I don't understand this newfangled method of communicating.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2004, 04:06:10 am »

Has to be said, CJ's rule makes sense. All I know is, I'd be shot if I started two spacing in publishing! Given how strict the rules are on M-dashes and the like, two spacing is just downright apocryphal, according to the Chicago Press books at any rate.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2004, 04:09:22 am »

I'm telling you, two-spacing is for crazy people!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2004, 04:21:01 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

Or is it PWNED? I don't understand this newfangled method of communicating.


I think it's PWNT.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2004, 06:29:35 am »

What does that mean?  Pawned?  Punted?  I've been punted?

Anyway, it is only correct to put two spaces after a period.  I LIKE being able to see at a glance where a new sentence begins.  What is it with people's dislike of white space?

Of course, I also subscribe to the Harvard Comma (i.e. "the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe" whereas the common method being taught today for commas and conjunctions is "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe.")

Fuck you people who did not learn how to write using the Palmer Method, too.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2004, 08:37:29 am »

I think pwned is when you're owned so hard that your finger is momentarily jolted to the right. Pwnts are when you wear trousers so hard that your finger is momentarily jolted up and to the right.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2004, 01:48:18 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

Of course, I also subscribe to the Harvard Comma


Ditto on the Harvard Comma. I mean, as y'all could probably tell from looking through any of the posts I've ever made. I am interested to look into Chicago Press' opinions of it, but I like writing to look how it sounds as much as possible, and so the Harvard Comma just seems right to me.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2004, 02:28:02 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
What does that mean?  Pawned?  Punted?  I've been punted?

Anyway, it is only correct to put two spaces after a period.  I LIKE being able to see at a glance where a new sentence begins.  What is it with people's dislike of white space?


Yeah, abundant white space makes text easier to read.  It's not like we're killing trees here, folks.  There are plenty of electrons to go around.

Quote

Of course, I also subscribe to the Harvard Comma (i.e. "the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe" whereas the common method being taught today for commas and conjunctions is "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe.")


I thought the "no comma before the conjunction" was Old School and the "Harvard Comma" was the new hotness.  I was taught no comma in elementary school, then read later as an (ostensible) adult that the comma was proper.  Now I just punctuate randomly.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2004, 02:30:01 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
What does that mean?  Pawned?  Punted?  I've been punted?

Anyway, it is only correct to put two spaces after a period.  I LIKE being able to see at a glance where a new sentence begins.  What is it with people's dislike of white space?

Of course, I also subscribe to the Harvard Comma (i.e. "the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe" whereas the common method being taught today for commas and conjunctions is "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe.")

Fuck you people who did not learn how to write using the Palmer Method, too.

I think the idea is that variable-width fonts already adjust the spacing at the end of a sentence so the 2nd space is superfluous.

I learned the serial comma as well. When I was still in school MLA style changed their rule on it from optional to required (IIRC) but I'd been using it anyway for clarity.* Around this same time MLA also made whom optional since nobody uses it right anyway.


*In fact just last week I say a headline that read, "new shows, Charlie and Bret married" when it meant to say, "new shows, Charlie, and Bret married" indicating 3 distinct stories.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2004, 02:49:19 pm »

OK, but just to check, everybody realizes that when I brought up the great two-space/one-space wars of the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries, inclusive, I meant on actual paper, and not on a CRT or whatever the hell it is I'm looking at right now.



Note: When I typed that, I was actually looking at my keyboard.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2004, 03:02:27 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

Yeah, abundant white space makes text easier to read.  It's not like we're killing trees here, folks.  There are plenty of electrons to go around.


*swoon*

marry me you fool!


Quote

  Now I just punctuate randomly.


*biggerswoon*
marry me more!


i was taught two spaces after a sentence ends, but later was told that the new way with computers is one space.  i consider that dumb, though.  white space makes things easier to read.

i remember being taught that it was ok to use commas before the "and/or" or that it was ok to not use one there.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2004, 05:01:26 pm »

Funny - here we are talking about ease of readability on this here website, and there's not a serif font to be found - other than part of the logo.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2004, 05:15:04 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Funny - here we are talking about ease of readability on this here website, and there's not a serif font to be found - other than part of the logo.


The rule of thumb I had always heard was that you use serif fonts for print and sans-serif for screen.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2004, 05:19:30 pm »

Serif font is easier to read, because serifs give the reader more clues about what the letter is. In a nutshell, the letters are more differentiated. Sans serif fonts are better for headlines and titles and things of that nature. Certainly, though, sans serif appears to rule the day on the internet. If you try to read a large amount of text in sans serif, it's somewhat taxing. You rarely see that in professional publications. It shows up in porno, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up