Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning  (Read 7991 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2005, 01:18:58 am »

"Loaded" is the best VU album. This is not an opinion. This is cold stone FACT.

I'm godawful at lists. I can only talk about stuff I've recently listened to, which is why I tend to talk more about what am i listening to now, as opposed to what I always listen to.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2005, 03:18:14 am »

I don't know - isn't it impossible for anime to be cool, let alone the soundtrack to an anime film?

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2005, 03:43:21 am »

Well, some of the Cowboy Bebop music is pretty good (though I don't have a sndtrk; I have watched the show) and the theme to Serial Experiments Lain is nice.  not stuff I'd want to listen to all the time, but since I sort've was an anime fanatic a few years ago (I'd say I still am, but I realised collecting was a ridiculously expensive hobby.  I see certain ones on cartoon network from time to time and read some manga now and then; it's cheaper), I guess that's why I can see the appeal in the music.. I own some sndtrks.  not essential though.

---

As far as essential goes, pretty much some people already listed what I would have listed.  here's some I think I didn't see:

Afghan Whigs - Black Love
Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll
Tortoise - TNT
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden (I'm probably getting Laughing Stock next; by the one song I sampled, perhaps get that as well)
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2005, 04:38:29 am »

Quote from: "starlight"
As far as essential goes, pretty much some people already listed what I would have listed.  here's some I think I didn't see:

Afghan Whigs - Black Love
Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll
Tortoise - TNT
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden (I'm probably getting Laughing Stock next; by the one song I sampled, perhaps get that as well)
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One


I love TNT almost, but not quite, as much as Millions Now Living Will Never Die.  I haven't liked the last two records from Tortoise as much, however.

I like Yo La Tengo too, but I rarely will listen to an entire album.  I probably like Eloctr-o-pura best, but And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-out and I Can Hear... are nearly as good.  Painful too.  Hopefully I get to see them on Jan 26.  There here (Salt Lake--Park City actually) for Sundance but it can be tricky getting into some shows.

The Cocteau Twins--I need to get some of their albums, and most people seem to recommend Blue Bell Knoll as a starting point.  My ex loved them, but I only know songs minus their titles, so it's hard to know.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2005, 05:08:23 am »

Yo La Tengo shows are amazing. I've seen them live twice, and have like 5 bootlegs of shows. Kill people to get into that show.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2005, 05:16:35 am »

Jough, I respect your musical taste and discretion.  Not to belabor a point or anything, but may I ask you to elaborate on your Steely Dan opinion?  It's hard for me to believe that you have not been extensively exposed to their (fairly ubiquitous) popular work.  Why do you have a negative opinion of them?  I ask out of simple curiousity.  Educate me about what you think is wrong with them.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2005, 06:26:28 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Yo La Tengo shows are amazing. I've seen them live twice, and have like 5 bootlegs of shows. Kill people to get into that show.


OK, I'll take out Redford himself if I have to.  I actually saw them once about 6 years ago or so, and really liked it.  They rarely make it out here, so it's all a matter of whether I can get a ticket or not.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2005, 06:31:02 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Jough, I respect your musical taste and discretion.  Not to belabor a point or anything, but may I ask you to elaborate on your Steely Dan opinion?  It's hard for me to believe that you have not been extensively exposed to their (fairly ubiquitous) popular work.  Why do you have a negative opinion of them?  I ask out of simple curiousity.  Educate me about what you think is wrong with them.


I know this is for Jough, but hey, my taped episode of 24 is on commercial break.

Even though I'm only 25, I was, and still am to a point, a huge (though somewhat picky) fan of classic rock.  That said, my exposure to Steely Dan, beyond Reeling in the Years and my father's Aja tape is also fairly limited.  It's not like classic rock radio plays all their stuff.  I like Reeling in the Years, but everything else I've heard doesn't appeal to me at all.  But that really only includes a few songs off of Aja.

Didn't they beat out Radiohead and Eminem to win a Grammy a few years ago?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2005, 06:42:07 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I don't know - isn't it impossible for anime to be cool, let alone the soundtrack to an anime film?


oh wow, it's friday again.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2005, 06:50:48 am »

Clutch's Elephant Riders.  if you don't have this album, you should have it.  i love clutch.  the stuff earlier is harder, the stuff later is jammier.  Elephant Riders is just the right size bowl of porridge.

on a tangental note, i don't go to a lot of concerts.  rarely, perhaps.  i had tix for a clutch show for my birthday last year, year before?  apparently the lead singer for "let the bodies hit the floor" died, and they were opening? and they cancelled the show.  shit.

If you don't have Jawbox's "For Your Own Special Sweetheart" then you don't have an album that is rather good and amazing and that you should have.

if you don't have one of or both of Front 242's 1993 twin "Evil" albums, you are shit out of luck because you do not have the pinacle of EBM.

if you don't have babyland's "a total letdown" you should get it right away, because the beats beat any beat a beater could beat.

if you don't have another six pack, you are out of beer.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2005, 09:14:47 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "starlight"
As far as essential goes, pretty much some people already listed what I would have listed.  here's some I think I didn't see:

Afghan Whigs - Black Love
Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll
Tortoise - TNT
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden (I'm probably getting Laughing Stock next; by the one song I sampled, perhaps get that as well)
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One


I love TNT almost, but not quite, as much as Millions Now Living Will Never Die.  I haven't liked the last two records from Tortoise as much, however.

I like Yo La Tengo too, but I rarely will listen to an entire album.  I probably like Eloctr-o-pura best, but And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-out and I Can Hear... are nearly as good.  Painful too.  Hopefully I get to see them on Jan 26.  There here (Salt Lake--Park City actually) for Sundance but it can be tricky getting into some shows.

The Cocteau Twins--I need to get some of their albums, and most people seem to recommend Blue Bell Knoll as a starting point.  My ex loved them, but I only know songs minus their titles, so it's hard to know.


Well, TNT is the only one I have.. perhaps I should purchase more.. it seems I only get a few old school albums a year.  I'll sample some!

As for YLT, well, I only have that one and Summer Sun which didn't make my decision that hard.. heh.. I keep meaning to get And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-out, but keep putting it off.  I hear it is very good though.
Oh as for a namedropper song, I suggest Hot Chip - Playboy ..brilliant 'gangsta' parody involving mention of Yo La Tengo... I'll never think of YLT in the same way.

Yeah, I'm a fairly new Cocteau Twins listener (well, I sampled some over the last 3yrs and just got that particular album sometime last year), but I haven't heard a bad song yet.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2005, 11:47:12 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I don't know - isn't it impossible for anime to be cool, let alone the soundtrack to an anime film?


No, I'm with CJ on this one. Bebop has one of the finest soundtracks of anything, ever,
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2005, 07:13:18 pm »

I've neither seen nor heard it, and it may be very good, but my point is that in the Americas it is not cool to like anime.  Anime is generally something for geeks, like Natalie Portman day calendars and Babylon 5 dvds.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2005, 07:18:12 pm »

As for Steely Dan, I never cared for Reelin' In The Years - I find it kind of bland.  And I can't even think of any other Steely Dan songs now.  My uncle is a huge fan of theirs and has all of the albums, so I could always borrow them from him to rip I guess, but of course he has all of Gino Vanelli's albums too, so his taste is suspect.

I guess what I've heard of SD hasn't really impressed me, and I'm a fan of classic rock and the only decent radio station in philly happens to be a classic rock station (we had an all 80s station for a time that I listened to constantly, but then that was replaced by "Jammin' Gold" which had nothing but 70s and 80s R&B, funk, and soul, and I listened to that even more constantly - woke up to "Treat Her Like A Lady" by Cornelious Brothers and Sister Rose every day in college, but now it's changed over to an "unoffensive smooth pop" format and I just leave the dial on the classic rock station.

Anyway, I'll have to sample some SD, but let me know which album in your opinion is their best and I'll start there.  I figure if I don't like that I can just stop.

Meanwhile, I have downloaded all of Lush's albums (I had "Spooky" back in high school) and it's like 1993 all over again in my house.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2005, 10:00:25 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I've neither seen nor heard it, and it may be very good, but my point is that in the Americas it is not cool to like anime.  Anime is generally something for geeks, like Natalie Portman day calendars and Babylon 5 dvds.


I see your point. I'm just such a geek that I think to be a geek is cool.

Also added to my list would have to be:
Ojos de Brujo - Bari
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
Tom Waits - Nighthawks and Bone Machine are essential, but you can't go far wrong with Real Gone.
Think of One - NAFT2
Jaune Toujours - Brusk
The Cat Empire - eponymous. One of the very first things I'd replace were I to lose everything.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up