Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style  (Read 9029 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 05:17:25 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "wombat"

I also see that there is a local band here called The Lloyd Dobler Effect, some of whose members are from Silver Spring, where I live.

Carry on.


Silver Spring, MD?


Yes.  You should know this!  You mean you refused to come and meet me and the rest of the DC Ache-con, and you don't even remember doing so?  Now I feel doubly rejected and unloved.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 05:20:05 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "wombat"

I also see that there is a local band here called The Lloyd Dobler Effect, some of whose members are from Silver Spring, where I live.

Carry on.


Silver Spring, MD?


Yes.  You should know this!  You mean you refused to come and meet me and the rest of the DC Ache-con, and you don't even remember doing so?  Now I feel doubly rejected and unloved.


I don't even remember my own name half the time. I'll make the claim I was out of the country. But that means there are three or so people in NoVA, one in SS and I believe a recently delurked Baltimoron..
Logged

Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
    • http://www.subrevolt.com/phpnuke
Ache-con?
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 05:28:45 pm »

What is this "ache-con" of which you speak?
Logged
** it seemed to give him energy **

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 05:38:31 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I don't even remember my own name half the time. I'll make the claim I was out of the country. But that means there are three or so people in NoVA, one in SS and I believe a recently delurked Baltimoron..

As for regulars I'm in Arlington, Carlos in in Alexandria I think, and I'm pretty sure Gimpson's location used to say DC. Golfhaus just says VA but I think he's farther south.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Ache-con?
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 05:58:04 pm »

Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
What is this "ache-con" of which you speak?


Search the old threads.  Isn't there a rule that newbies can't register without passing a test on the content of all the old threads going all the way back to the beginning of time?  Who's in charge here?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2005, 06:00:37 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm pretty sure Gimpson's location used to say DC.


No, I'm near Kansas City.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 06:08:42 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm pretty sure Gimpson's location used to say DC.

No, I'm near Kansas City.

Well nevermind then. I thought I remembered a poster whose location was somewhere DC-ish but recently changed to something wackier. Maybe it was Superock or something.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 06:38:59 pm »

You mean Turbo Ninja?

And I was going to post comments but I think I'll just like Bobby Iso post them for me from now on, since he's so balls-on accurate...

Man, this will make me smile all weekend - my only nit-pick is that Beef would never use IE, but this has been addressed already.

Maybe Onstad thought that people wouldn't know what the fuck Firefox is.

Or maybe Onstad himself uses IE.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005, 06:46:38 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Man, this will make me smile all weekend - my only nit-pick is that Beef would never use IE, but this has been addressed already.

Maybe Onstad thought that people wouldn't know what the fuck Firefox is.

Or maybe Onstad himself uses IE.

I'd say that it's because Ray uses IE. Since he's the speaker and we learned that he didn't know the difference between e-mail and the internet I find it unlikely Ray uses an alternative browser.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2005, 06:59:41 pm »

My card table's legs are firmly planted in Columbus, Ohio.  I have family in Alexandria and McLean (or however you spell it) but I live at the intersection of Interstates 70 and 71.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2005, 07:12:02 pm »

Lloyd Dobler. COOL.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
    • http://www.subrevolt.com/phpnuke
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2005, 07:57:15 pm »

Is there something wrong with me that I didn't really like Say Anything? What am I missing about it that makes it so revered? (for the record I was pretty let-down by Blade Runner when I saw it, but everyone says BR is SOOO great so I think the problem might be me)
Logged
** it seemed to give him energy **

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005, 08:04:22 pm »

Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
Is there something wrong with me that I didn't really like Say Anything? What am I missing about it that makes it so revered? (for the record I was pretty let-down by Blade Runner when I saw it, but everyone says BR is SOOO great so I think the problem might be me)


Not liking Blade Runner may be a problem, but I also was not too impressed by Say Anything.  It was OK, but I'll never watch it again unless someone else puts it in and I have nothing better to do.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2005, 09:29:36 pm »

I'm culturally literate enough to get references to it, but yeah, I've never seen Say Anything, either. I do want to - I really do like John Cusack - but not enough to, say, buy it, or go out of my way to rent it. I've always mentally lumped it in with Better Off Dead and One Crazy Summer, even though it's apparently not a comedy.
Logged

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2005, 10:54:42 pm »

it is amazing how thoroughly terrible better off dead is whe you watch it after several years.

say anything, though, may well be the pinnacle of the cusack teen movie career.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up