Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: So... what've you been listening to lately?  (Read 34329 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #195 on: May 19, 2005, 12:45:19 pm »

Quote from: "antioch"
Steal this album? Way to understand information culture, guys.

I don't actually like SoaD but isn't that album a collection of tracks that they never planned to release but had spread via Kazaa so quickly that they figured, "hey, if there's a demand for tracks we thought weren't good enough to release then what the hell?"
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #196 on: May 19, 2005, 12:59:47 pm »

Quote from: "antioch"
Steal this album? Way to understand information culture, guys.


perhaps they were not alluding to "information culture" so much as American Culture:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/156858217X/002-5647697-1651222?v=glance

http://www.tenant.net/Community/steal/steal.html
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

angryhate

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2005, 07:08:40 am »

behold... the arctopus - nano-nucleonic cyborg summoning ep
angry hate/sloth split 12''
angry hate/sloth split 7''
anal cunt - top 40 hits
sloth/dot[.]+timisoara split 7''
goatsnake/burning witch split cd
demilich - nespithe
motorhead - overkill
jim gaffigan - last supper

everyone needs to get the behold... the arctopus ep. it's like psyopus, only instrumental and better

old kentucky shark

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2005, 07:30:10 am »

Saint Etienne do a totally wicked synth-disco "Only Love Can Break Your Heart". I am listening their album Fox Base Alpha.
Logged

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2005, 09:46:10 am »

Quote from: "angryhate"


everyone needs to get the behold... the arctopus ep. it's like psyopus, only instrumental and better


I don't know about that. Psyopus is pretty bad. A golden boy guitarist noodling his brain out with a competent drummer and a "sorry, he's my roommate" vocalist doesn't do much for me. Arctopus will probably be alright if they keep their songs short. But I think Orthrelm is all I'll need in the realm of lazer metal guitar warfare.

Also, Angryhate and Anal Cunt are great. The way Seth describes the origin of AH on his site cracks me up. I've never heard their records, but the name and concept rule. Tsa nice username, brociferous.
Logged
I am older now.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2005, 02:18:11 pm »

Quote from: "old kentucky shark"
Saint Etienne do a totally wicked synth-disco "Only Love Can Break Your Heart". I am listening their album Fox Base Alpha.


Oh yes. Why this band never hit it bigger in the States, I will never know. Mothra!

I think I listened to "How We Used to Live" off of Sound of Water about six times yesterday at work. Which, of course, sounds pretty much nothing like their "Only Love Can Break Your Heart", but that is one of the really nifty things about Saint Etienne - their sound may change, but their signature is pretty distinctive.

Quote from: "antioch"
Anal Cunt [is] great


Man, was I ever disappointed when I actually, after years of having enjoyed reading the backs of their CDs in record shops, got around to hearing an AC song. The actual songs themselves are interchangable; roughly seventy-one seconds of unintelligible screaming and solid, featureless noise ostensibly made with musical instruments. I still use "You Drive an Iroc-Z" as an all-purpose insult, though.
Logged

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #201 on: May 27, 2005, 06:27:06 am »

If you try to follow what AC's drummer is doing on the snare for their noisier songs, it resembles a really fast one-handed fill. I like that, but yeah, they were started with the sole intention of pissing people off and sounding terrible. Check out the AC acoustic album - Picnic of Love.
Logged
I am older now.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2005, 05:37:46 am »

I am digging on this new Gorillaz album. Kind of a shame that Miho Hatori and Del don't make apperances this time, though.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

angryhate

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #203 on: May 29, 2005, 10:06:24 am »

behold... the arctopus - arctopocalypse now... warmageddon later
upsidedown cross - upside down cross
lewis black - luther burbank performing arts center blues
brainoil/iron lung split 7''

upsidedown cross is seriously classy doomy stuff.

V-Adore

  • Guest
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #204 on: June 03, 2005, 11:42:38 pm »

Recent acquisition: Wolf Parade's self-titled six-song EP. Haven't listened yet, but the two MP3s I have from it make me happy like very little music has lately, so I suspect good things.

even if I feel like Indie Rock Pete for even owning it
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #205 on: June 04, 2005, 12:55:36 am »

I got the new Sleater-Kinney. I like it but I think Indie-Rock Pete must have an alternate version or something.

The new Mike Doughty is great. I wish I'd seen him last month when I had the chance.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #206 on: June 04, 2005, 01:26:31 am »

Yeah, I was kinda underwhelmed by the new Sleater-Kinney album, cause I'd heard so much about it being their big rock-out guitar album, and sure, they have picked up some nifty tricks, but I still think Dig Me Out and All Hands on the Bad One are way more rock-out-y.  

Things I've been listening to over-and-over-and-over lately are Leadbelly, Joanna Newsom, the X-Ray Spex, and Serge Gainsbourg.  It's a winning combination.

Edit:  Oh, and Tim by the Replacements.  Manymany times.
Logged
goose means greedy

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #207 on: June 04, 2005, 05:00:39 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
...Serge Gainsbourg.


Also got the new Sleater-Kinney, and I like it.  It's the first album by them that I've owned.

I think I've mentioned it before, and I think it was in response to andalucia (or someone) mentioning his name, but Serge Gainsbourg's Cannabis Soundtrack is so good.  It's hard to find, but I was able to download it on Soulseek.  I don't think my SO will go for it, but I want this one track off of it played at our wedding.  It's probably better that way, though.  I think the track's title translates as Last Wound or something like that.  And the title track is a-maz-ing.  It can be found on that Saint Etienne mix CD.

I am previewing Art Brut's latest, because I read about it this morning.  It's OK, but I think the vocals annoy me a little.  Fun though.

Today and yesterday at work I was able to listen to my iPod for most of my shift, and listened to a lot of early and mid-90s rock like Nirvana, Treepeople and Soundgarden.  It was good times.

And I recently picked up Geek the Girl by Lisa Germano.  It's good.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #208 on: June 06, 2005, 04:46:09 pm »

Sparks' "Kimono My House". I cannot believe this record was made over 30 years ago.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #209 on: June 06, 2005, 05:32:39 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Sparks' "Kimono My House". I cannot believe this record was made over 30 years ago.


I haven't heard that one, but I'm downloading it now (legally).

But "Angst in my Pants" is one of my favourite albums.  They did "Micky penis" on SNL back in the early 80s and when I saw that I was hooked.

Almost all of their album names are awful puns or plays on words, too, like "A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing" or "Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins".

Also, their last album was released in 2002!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up