Oh, I voted for I'm in, but forgot to comment.
Alrighty.
Out of the secondeds, I've read Franny and Zooey several times, but I'd be game for reading it again, since I'm sure I'd enjoy discussing it with you guys
(even though I think it is somewhat silly)
I guess I'd be down for rereading the Plague as well, even though I'd probably make myself read it in French again, because when read The Stranger, I started in English, and it was terrible bad news, since there's really no translating some parts of it, and I'm suspicious of translations in general. But I need to work on my French anyways.
I'm not in if we do a Henry Miller. I've tried to read him many times and I just can't. I hate him very very much.
I would be very down with the Cohen or the Rushdie, since both of those are on my list as well. I have my doubts about Rushdie, but Leonard Cohen and I are Friends, in that he grew up near where I live and went to the school I go to and wrote for the paper I write for. We have like a special bond, you dig?
Also I feel obliged to reply to a few things here:
Andalucia and I have actually been talking about Finnegans Wake a lot lately. As it turns out, she is smart enough to read it and I am Not.
Patently untrue. I got to 80 pages from the end. I guess I may as well finish it some day, since it'd only take a couple more months. Would I be smarter then than I am now?
I just bought a copy, and I keep battering myself against it like an idiot puppy but I can't break through to the narrative yet. I've been having so much trouble I've actually written a short story about a man who can't read Finnegans Wake.
However, if I had all of your support, and if I could ask Andalucia for help in a way so that it wasn't obvious to her that I'm actually an idiot and in fact totally bullshit all of the conversations where she says smart things and I say smart things back, I'm totally down.
Your story is a fine story, and also I would like you for your tales of Magic P.a.n.t.s even if you did turn out to be secretly dumb.
Books I have been remiss in avoiding and would like to read:
Woolf, To the Lighthouse
Any Gertrude Stein. I've tried, but I need motivation such as a community of judgemental peers.
Pynchon, especially Gravity's Rainbow, cause that was what I told myself I'd read after Finnegans Wake so haven't gotten to it yet.
Baldwin, Go Tell it on the Mountain. I read this or part of it a couple years ago, but now that I've read more of his books I think I'd get more out of it.
But you can ignore me, because none of those are really light summer reading.