Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 67   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby updates - ongoing  (Read 205688 times)

0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #720 on: January 26, 2007, 09:47:12 am »

Did you know that at the zoo, OWL...SLEEPING...TIRED?
Nice lead up, the intro was sufficiently vague to keep a good feeling of suspense.  I had originally suspected you might continue to the chimpanzee, an ironic metaphor for their blatant captivity compared to our blind belief in freedom in a controlling society, but the owl caught me by surprise.  I felt that once the owl, normally associated with its ever-present vigilance, has suddenly become tired, sleeping and missing the downfall of our society.  While the watcher rests, the rats, so to say, roam free, giving the unmentionables of society even more power and letting them chew on our electrical wires and leave tiny turds of oppression in our cabinets and garages.  My only criticism is that you failed to expound further on your ideas, possibly holding on to that classic proverb, brevity is the soul of wit.  And this dark and prophetic tale certainly has the prospect of becoming one of the great tales of classic literature for many years to come.

Unfortunately, we wasted our budget on The DaVinci Code 2.  Better luck next time.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #721 on: February 03, 2007, 05:24:48 am »

"Current toddler status, 2/1

When pressed into service for a twenty-five minute bedtime narrative, the generative technique of “free association” proves far superior to the traditional storytelling methods of plot development, resolution, and moral allegory."

This... this is kind of sad to me.  My favourite bedtime story I can remember from childhood is this one about a chicken and a... rabbit, I think? So the rabbit and chicken lived in this house in the woods, and the chicken would tell the rabbit not to go into the woods, but the rabbit would anyway, and then it would get lost, and yell to the chicken for help, and the chicken heard it, and took it back home, and this happened twice, but the third time, the rabbit wandered so far into the woods that when it got lost and yelled, the chicken could not hear it, so it died. As I said at the beginning, this is my favourite childhood bedtime story.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #722 on: February 03, 2007, 06:18:45 am »

when I was a kid my dad told really good bedtime stories. i mean, I assume he still would, if called into service.
The best was a story which had many variants, involving the place/planet/town where they say everything twice everything twice. As a child, I found this concept hilarious.

it makes me kind of sad that as I got older, it turned into a weird Star Trek thing. I have a kind of depressing memory of liking Star Trek entirely because I thought my dad liked it-- which makes me think that even at that young age, I realized that I was missing out on male bonding by not being into sports.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #723 on: February 05, 2007, 02:40:26 am »

My dad used to read me the American Declaration of Independence, and also the US Constitution, as bedtime stories. I think he thought it would make me fall asleep, but I found them fascinating and would often request them at bedtime.


*cries* God, I'm such a geek.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #724 on: February 05, 2007, 02:55:53 am »

My favorite bedtime story was the one about Galileo And The Scientific Method.  In general my dad's bedtime stories were all kind of about Religion and Science competing for my allegiance, and Science winning. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #725 on: February 05, 2007, 07:19:29 pm »

I didn't get bedtime stories. 

Ever. 




...




I guess I'm supposed to be scarred by this, or something? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #726 on: February 05, 2007, 07:26:21 pm »

Nah. I didn't get any bedtime stories either. And I turned out fine.
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #727 on: February 05, 2007, 08:54:56 pm »

For a time, Mrs. del Vaca took my our oldest to a weekly playgroup at a church near our house.  At the final meeting before summer break, they gave all the kids little children's Bibles.  And now she sometimes requests stories from it at bedtime.

Which freaks me the hell out, since we're not really Christians.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #728 on: February 05, 2007, 09:11:30 pm »

No, that's perfectly appropriate - she clearly recognizes the stories as fiction, then, right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #729 on: February 05, 2007, 09:24:41 pm »

yeah. my sister used to get upset when we didn't pray before meals-- "but my teacher says you have to do that!"

that was a bad scene in general.

also the time my mom found out that my sister's babysitter was reading her stories out of The Watchtower.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #730 on: February 05, 2007, 09:42:13 pm »

No, that's perfectly appropriate - she clearly recognizes the stories as fiction, then, right?

Uh, no.  She has said she believes in Jesus.
Whether she actually understands what that means is open to debate, of course.
We want to find a "World Religions for Kids" book of some sort, so we can get it into her head that there's lots of interpretations of this religion thing.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #731 on: February 05, 2007, 10:04:45 pm »

See, as a churchgoing Christian person, I'm actually pretty offended by the idea of people who attempt to educate other people's children about religion without express permission. 

I'm a little nervous about sending my kids to Sunday School classes because regardless of what the church believes you never know what some whacked-out teacher is going to tell them.  For instance, the church my parents go to had to kick out a husband and wife who were basically Morman spies pretending to be Baptists to they could indoctrinate preschoolers.  And another guy at the same church told the entire high school youth group that Catholics aren't really Christians and therefore will burn in hell. 

And then there's the other side of the coin.  When I was growing up, Sunday school was basically where we sat in a circle and colored pictures and listened to "bible stories" which were presented like fairy tales.  It's like being a Christian is about learning a collection of stories that promote a common body of literature but serve no instructive purpose.  I'd rather have someone tell my kid that there is no God but Allah and Muhammed is his prophet so that when he comes home and asks me what that means we can have a meaningful conversation about why different people believe different things. 

But that might just be me. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #732 on: February 07, 2007, 10:51:00 pm »

Current toddler status, 2/7
Lady and the Tramp continuity error no. 2: in the classic meatball/spaghetti sequence, Tramp has a 3cm lipoma that is not present in the rest of the film.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #733 on: February 07, 2007, 11:52:46 pm »

a totally revolting picture of a lipoma

the tramp doesn't know what he's in for.  (thanks, wikipedia!)

EDITED by V because I was eating and do not want to see this image repeatedly every time I open this thread

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #734 on: February 08, 2007, 03:10:32 am »

I had a lipoma on my back that was the size of a golf ball. Lipomas are ALMOST ALWAYS benign.

Apparently Labrador Retrievers get them a lot, too.

It was a simple outpatient procedure to get it removed.  It wasn't as fascinating as I thought to see it removed from my body. They sent it to pathology, who apparently sieved it to make sure it was totally benign. It was. End of story.

I named my lipoma Alan after a guy that I disliked.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 67   Go Up