I'm afraid that New Orleans is in danger of slipping into anarchy. Unless basic services are restored soon or EVERYONE is relocated, it's just going to get worse.
The people that are stuck in New Orleans right now have no hope for normalcy -- and people without hope can turn violent quite easily. I entertained very real thoughts of harming people and stealing from them when I was stuck in Orlando without power, gas, or food... and that was only after three days. I was hungry, hot, thirsty, and had nothing to fill my time with but waiting and envy. I was rapidly losing sight of the big picture.
I wasn't really bad off at all, yet I felt angry. I ended up finding a hotel room and taking a cab there until power came back. It was really nothing, but until I was fed, clean, and cool I was filled with this inexplicable rage at everyone who had those things.
And again, my situation was ten times better than many people in that area, and a hundred times better than most in New Orleans. I had my (intact) home, my possessions, and the means to remove myself from the area. My part of town wasn't hit that hard; services began to be available again after 36 hours or so. My power was back in under a week, and I luckily spied a gas station as its fuel delivery truck pulled in and was able to fill up.
If my home was destroyed with all of my possessions including my only means of transportation...
If there simply was no shelter to go to and no food available...
If I didn't know whether my friends, family, and neighbors were even alive...
If I didn't have the cash to get out of the area...
If I didn't know whether I would have a way to make a living any more...
I don't know. I just don't know.
Sometimes I feel like the best answer is to move everyone out of the area, because that many people who've been through that much tragedy and are under that much hardship... things could get very bad.