Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Side_Show, Get Your Gun!  (Read 9418 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2005, 07:54:41 pm »

Sometimes I still sit down for a Red Alert 2 minithon. The unit voiceovers are so much better than in the original (But they still get annoying after a couple of hours). Also, Eva is hot. I'm glad you get with her at the end instead of Tayna.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2005, 08:26:31 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

For my show the frontman came out in a flaming motorcycle helmet. After the fire died down I could see there were all kinds of hoses and whatnot attached to it as well.

I guess was just confused because when I hear "tesla coil" I picture towering implements of death surrouding soviet bases that are always a bitch to sneak Tanya past.


Tesla Coils, like mammals, come in any number of sizes.  But we're talking about a man who reportedly caused earthquakes, so I dunno if he was all that concerned about Tanya.

Am I ousted from the thread because I was a StarCraft guy and never played CC?  I did play Duke Nukem if that makes up for it.

Mmm.. early crossover cable mulitplayer experience...
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2005, 08:58:04 pm »

My first PC came with the shareware version of Duke Nukem in the DOS directory of all places. I just recently found out they made a FPS version of this game which I can only assume is the corniest FPS ever.
Logged

Teslaguy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.weird.org
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2005, 11:48:59 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
A very good friend of mine did a show in NYC with Jaime(sic), and afterwards they brought out the Tesla coil.  Jamie picked me and thrust a fluorescent light tube into my hand.  Then they fired up the terrifying death machine, and an arc of electricity shot out and lit up the tube in my hand.  I did a few seconds of half-hearted Jedi moves for the amusement of those assembled and told him to turn it off because I was scared to death.  Jamie took pity on me and did so.  

Jamie, incidentally, is neither as short or troll-like as the article makes him sound.


Thanks for coming to my defense.  I'm not a Keebler Elf lurking in an evil cookie tree, fondling a death weapon.  I'm 6' in my sneakers, about 170 pounds, and usually rather sweet, and maybe yes, a bit of  a dorky artist/engineer, but who else builds these things?  Usually dorky engineers.  So I stand tall and proud in Teslaland, being the winner of American drama's highest sound design awards.

I probably did truthfully say it could kill you.  So could a hairdryer in a bathtub.  There has been one Tesla death in the last 100 years, to a foolish demonstrator, but never a viewer.

But original poster, thanks for the heads-up.  In the future I will more explicitly explain the risks.  A ceiling fan will kill you, If you are stupid enough to stick your head in it.  I suppose it would be hard to be killed by a small fern.

My coil, static and active, is available for viewing at http://www.weird.org/Physics/Physics.html

I've tweaked it since these old pictures.  Now it shoots a good 7 feet.

And...Tesla's polyphase AC electric motor, which powers the modern world, has absolutely nothing to do with Tesla coils.

It's like saying Edison's phonograph relied on one of his light bulbs.

Enough.  I've said enough to discredit this.  It's just a pity when people take feeble pot-shots at one another in order to appear clever, and then don't take the time to learn basic facts about the topic being discussed.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2005, 12:46:25 am »

Quote from: "Teslaguy"
A ceiling fan will kill you, If you are stupid enough to stick your head in it. I suppose it would be hard to be killed by a small fern.

My coil, static and active, is available for viewing

I've tweaked it since these old pictures.  Now it shoots a good 7 feet.


As cool as a guy who plays with lightning has to be, obviously you haven't bneen watching Mythbusters.

Edit: WELCOME, REAL-LIFE JAMIE THE SCIENCE FRIEND!
Logged

Teslaguy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.weird.org
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2005, 12:55:44 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Teslaguy"
A ceiling fan will kill you, If you are stupid enough to stick your head in it. I suppose it would be hard to be killed by a small fern.

My coil, static and active, is available for viewing

I've tweaked it since these old pictures.  Now it shoots a good 7 feet.


As cool as a guy who plays with lightning has to be, obviously you haven't bneen watching Mythbusters.

Edit: WELCOME, REAL-LIFE JAIME THE SCIENCE FRIEND!


Yes, ceiling fans are low power, dull bladed things.  My mention of them was a metaphor for the fact that the foolish interaction with many common objects creates risk.  I wouldn't ever trim my nails in a garbage disposal.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2005, 01:17:14 am »

Quote from: "Teslaguy"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Teslaguy"
A ceiling fan will kill you, If you are stupid enough to stick your head in it. I suppose it would be hard to be killed by a small fern.

My coil, static and active, is available for viewing

I've tweaked it since these old pictures.  Now it shoots a good 7 feet.


As cool as a guy who plays with lightning has to be, obviously you haven't bneen watching Mythbusters.

Edit: WELCOME, REAL-LIFE JAIME THE SCIENCE FRIEND!


Yes, ceiling fans are low power, dull bladed things.  My mention of them was a metaphor for the fact that the foolish interaction with many common objects creates risk.  I wouldn't ever trim my nails in a garbage disposal.


I've gotta quit doing that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2005, 01:19:45 am »

Also, re: ceiling fans.  While I'll grant that they are unlikely to decapitate you, I can testify from recent experience that they are capable of giving you a nasty bruise and lump.  

About a month ago I was engaged in some hossplay with my daughters and I accidently stuck my hand into one.  Ow.  Ow.  Ow.  I still have a lump and slight residual soreness.

Also, welcome Jamie.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2005, 01:29:40 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Also, re: ceiling fans.  While I'll grant that they are unlikely to decapitate you, I can testify from recent experience that they are capable of giving you a nasty bruise and lump.  

About a month ago I was engaged in some hossplay with my daughters and I accidently stuck my hand into one.  Ow.  Ow.  Ow.  I still have a lump and slight residual soreness.

Also, welcome Jamie.


Just say "neigh" to hossplay, Aug.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2005, 01:43:49 am »

The actual guy from the article is posting in response to the link. I frickin' love the internet.
Logged

net23

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Yeah...
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2005, 01:59:25 am »

...and so is the guy that brought Limmoto see the coil in the first place....

<evil laughter> :twisted:
Logged
--
Bob Berger
www.charlievictorromeo.com
http://tripoutthroughthewindshield.blogspot.com//

"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Teslaguy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.weird.org
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2005, 03:24:53 am »

Quote
For my show the frontman came out in a flaming motorcycle helmet. After the fire died down I could see there were all kinds of hoses and whatnot attached to it as well.

I guess was just confused because when I hear "tesla coil" I picture towering implements of death surrouding soviet bases that are always a bitch to sneak Tanya past.

Shake it baby!


1) Go to www.ttr.com  That guy built a giant "model 12" coil that shoots 50 feet.

2) I hosted/engineered a 3 day electroacoustic music festival recently in my theater in downtown NYC, and at the end of the third night a young Swiss composer warned the room that he was going to play something very loud, and being enthusiastic, I took my hands away from the mixer faders and he proceeded to karake chop the keys of his laptop and make the loudest, most unpleasent (but still cool!) sounds I have ever heard.   Halfway through the song,  I saw bright light coming out of one of the speakers, like there was a floodlight in the cabinet.

First time in 20 years I've actually lit a speaker on fire.  Fun!  Destructive surprises are cool.  Just save them until the end of the show.


Fixed bbcode error @ 11PM EST
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2005, 03:43:04 am »

I've gotta get one of these things.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2005, 03:54:33 am »

My favorite line in Jim Jarmusch's Coffee and Cigarettes is Meg White's first line, after sitting at a table with Jack for several long moments:
"So, Jack, are you gonna tell me about your Tesla coil?"
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Side_Show, Get Your Gun!
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2005, 12:02:15 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
My favorite line in Jim Jarmusch's Coffee and Cigarettes is Meg White's first line, after sitting at a table with Jack for several long moments:
"So, Jack, are you gonna tell me about your Tesla coil?"


I kept thinking of that throughout this thread, but I found it marginally painful. The wooden acting and so forth. Also I guess my hatred for the pair of them.

Props to the Colbert by the way.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up