Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Games People Play  (Read 15273 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2003, 02:25:12 am »

Not exactly a game, but you can have fun with these cards.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2003, 09:00:46 am »

I first read about this in Games magazine. It sounds awesome. I have not enough cool gameheads around to play it well, though. If four of you come to Hawaii let me know.

http://www.leaked.info/mzo/cards/bwcards.html

The Game of 1000 Blank White Cards.

Really.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2003, 03:47:00 pm »

1000 Blank White Cards seems like it would require as much time to read the rules as you'd need to play the game.

Like Fluxx. I'm in.

Speaking of Fluxx (again) they've updated to version 3.0, which like XHTML 2 deprecates some of the less useful elements and introduces some new ones. I may have to upgrade. At least they don't mail you CDs every week.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2003, 08:42:19 am »

Choop: by "in" you mean you are on you're way to Hawaii to play? Cool! 3 more people and I can light the grill!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2003, 01:19:08 pm »

Have people actually played 1000 Blank Cards? I mean, it sounds neat in theory but it looks like there's so many things that could go wrong.

Does it make more sense once you have a starter deck?
Logged

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
Games People Play
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2003, 04:42:54 pm »

Whenever we visit my grandparents, we'd always play Rummikube (sp?).  And recently I've enjoyed playing Cranium.  But mostly when my friends gather, we either play Beyond Balderdash (which usually boils down to everyone pretty much giving up and writing some pretty hilarious stuff) or Texas Hold 'em poker.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Games People Play
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2003, 11:17:54 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Have people actually played 1000 Blank Cards? I mean, it sounds neat in theory but it looks like there's so many things that could go wrong.

Does it make more sense once you have a starter deck?

I honestly have no idea. I think the thing about 1000BWC is it's actually just an excuse to draw random weird crap on cards and play them on each other -- it's confusing in that it looks like it should have rules or a point, but it really doesn't. Personally, if I'm with a group of cool gamer geeks, I'd rather either play a real game or just talk, not do some sort of half-assed hybrid.

That said, if 1000BWC is a unique and/or fun experience, it'd be good to know. Maybe I'd give it a try again.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Cheapass Games
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2003, 12:10:38 am »

Quote from: "Vinz Clortho"
JL, you should check out Cheapass Games. They've got a bunch of awesome games that are, well, cheap, and lately have been focusing on card games.

Any particular recommendations? I poked around that site and they have a pretty large selection and the descriptions aren't always clear.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Games People Play
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2003, 12:25:16 am »

I used to play Mille Bournes a ton when I was a kid.

And XHTML 2.0 isn't a card game, although the backwards incompatibility with XHTML/HTML makes it about as useful as one.

That, and the fact that we can't expect browser ubiquity.... well, EVER.  So what good is a standard that no one uses?

Like that 1,000 BWC game.  Will anyone ever play it?

If a card game falls in a forest...

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2003, 02:23:34 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Choop: by "in" you mean you are on you're way to Hawaii to play? Cool! 3 more people and I can light the grill!


Uh.. I think I may have misconstrued my statement. Or you did, or something. Yeah. Something. Anyway, I'm not gonna be able to make it to Hawaii.

What I'm "in" on is getting a bunch of index cards and playing 1000BWCs. Here. In Atlanta.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2003, 02:28:48 am »

I got Fluxx over the weekend. Rocks!
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2003, 02:44:47 am »

Didja win? Which version did you get?

Don't go and make your blank into a card just yet. Google Fluxx and there are fan sites with lists of new cards people have made, etc.

Yes, I know, it's sad and scary, not just that there are, but also that I knew that without doing it right now.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2003, 03:10:17 am »

Aww, Choop, break my heart and don't come to Hawaii. Although mostly I'm serious about the invitation to <most> of the cool people on this board, I didn't yet clear out the guest room for you yet.

I do make it to Atlanta now and then since I work for the CDC and all. That's not a warning or anything.

If ANYONE really does play the 1000BWC let me know - it would be interesting to know how it went.  I think it sounds like something fun to do in an altered state with a group of people you know but not too well....yet...it would be a good way to get to know people better.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2003, 01:48:43 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Didja win? Which version did you get?

Don't go and make your blank into a card just yet. Google Fluxx and there are fan sites with lists of new cards people have made, etc.

Yes, I know, it's sad and scary, not just that there are, but also that I knew that without doing it right now.


3.0 Beyotch. It didn't come with any blank ones but I can think of some fun new rules. Off the top of my head I'd make a Blind Keepers new rule, where everybody has their keepers face-down so nobody else knows what they are.

We also got Chrononauts which took a couple practice games but we now consider fun.

Unfortunately the Game Keeper only had 2 Cheap Ass Games, so I haven't bought any of those yet.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2003, 04:30:55 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
It didn't come with any blank ones but I can think of some fun new rules. Off the top of my head I'd make a Blind Keepers new rule, where everybody has their keepers face-down so nobody else knows what they are.


No blanks? NO BLANKS?? What a rip! Jeez those people got all sorts of twisted in their limited success!

Also: Is there no more "Government Cover-Up" card? That basically said all Keepers must be hidden (face-down) as long as the rule was in effect.

Not there any more? Damn. I think I'll stick to whatever version I've got, thanks.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up