Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter  (Read 8253 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 02:47:10 am »

Quote from: "evan"
If you're tryin' to be funny, maybe use a little less Vietnam. Old stand-up trick.


I'm sittin' on the damn stoop! You were the one who turned it into a war and a musical!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

sam_spade

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 02:55:05 am »

Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Cats oughtn't to drink milk in quantity.  Cats generally cannot tolerate lactose (they have NO patience for it) and too much of it will be bad news.


Yeah, this pretty much blew my mind when I learned of it when I was eighteen or so. Up until then I lived under the assumption cats were down with milk, a life built on a lie. It was my Santa Claus Isn't Real moment.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 03:06:17 am »

Well, the weird thing about milk is that most humans (depending on whose numbers you believe) don't handle it really well either.  Milk is like the ultimate marketing success: a substance that isn't all that beneficial past infancy that has become a staple in most homes.

Of course, it does make many excellent sauces.  Mmm.  And cheese.  Milk and eggs are like the awesomest raw ingredients ever.  And flour.  As a beverage, I'll pass.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 03:25:20 am »

I'm so confused about milk. I Don't really get it! Is it healthy? "They" say it gives me calcium but my sister (who just happens to be a vegan) tells me it strips my bones of calcium. I don't really drink it that often but I still wanna know what's up? And google brings up both sides. Too bad so sad. Does it bother anyone that we've all been drinking another animals boob juice?
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 04:21:53 am »

If I can eat an animal's dead flesh I don't see the problem with milk.

It's a great ingredient and tastes really good with cookies. The stripping bones of calcium thing can't be right or I am sure it couldn't be marketed to children and babies - and the Federal WIC program would be in some shit, wouldn't it...
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 06:21:40 am »

Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
"They" say it gives me calcium but my sister (who just happens to be a vegan) tells me it strips my bones of calcium.


Okay let's test this. I've been drinking milk pretty regularly all my life. Take my arm and your sister's arm, put them in a vicegrip, and tie a rope to our wrists, from which would hang weights. Slowly add more and more weight until one of our arms breaks. Then stop the test. I hypothesize my arm will be intact, if only quite sore.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 06:49:40 am »

Half the Vegans I know couldn't curl a Q-tip without some crackling noises.

Remember how Healthy and Vigourous Dennis Kucinich always looked? Vegan.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 06:57:59 am »

If milk does strip calcium from one's bones then that is one hell of a conspiracy right there.
I figure if milk actually does contain a greater concentration of calcium than your blood stream then it will increase the calcium concentration in your blood overall (assuming that the majority of fluid from the milk and all the calcium is taken up into the blood stream which is not the case I'm fairly sure) and therefore make it less favourable for further calcium to disolve (I'm guessing that this the calcium disolving into blood is how the stripping proceeds), so unless They are putting a calcium removing enzyme in the milk (which They told us gives us calcium in the first place) at best it's not doing anything, but there again I'm assuming that there's calcium in there to begin with. That would be an awesome conspiracy though.

[This section deleted because I realised it was complete lies. They got me me]
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

hoborg

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 03:43:35 pm »

Man, some people really hate milk. I'm gonna go drink a glass of milk and then simultaneously get acne, prostate AND ovarian cancer, diabetes, diarrhoea, and a heart attack. See ya.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 04:37:08 pm »

Holy loaded lactose batman! That wiki page for milk is scary it makes me wonder why am I not dead yet. I found some more Milk Haters though and this stuff is funny. I'm going to make it a point to drink milk today.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 04:41:47 pm »

My vegan friend tells me that people of European descent can only tolerate milk because of a genetic defect (I call it natural selection--I love chocolate milk!  Thanks Darwin!), and that's why lactose intolerance seems to run along lines of nationality.  Who knows?

My sister says she is lactose intolerant.  She says she has a problem with all cheese too.  But don't certain types of cheese, like cheddar, have very little or no lactose?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 09:15:57 pm »

I learned something!

I thought that the cheesemaking process itself completely broke down lactose, but apparently it doesn't - while cheese contains less lactose per serving, it's still there.

e d u c a t i o n
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 11:30:37 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
My vegan friend tells me that people of European descent can only tolerate milk because of a genetic defect (I call it natural selection--I love chocolate milk!  Thanks Darwin!), and that's why lactose intolerance seems to run along lines of nationality.  Who knows?

My sister says she is lactose intolerant.  She says she has a problem with all cheese too.  But don't certain types of cheese, like cheddar, have very little or no lactose?


A genetic defect? That's a brilliant display of bias in describing a morally neutral mutation. If she is of european descent, she's 'defective' as well...
use of language like that turns me off to any further argument.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 11:47:11 pm »

Milk gives me heartburn something fierce. I don't drink it. I tried that milk-for-the-lactose-intolerant, same thing. Which bummed me out real bad when I was working out reguarly as I used milk to mix my whey protein supplements.

I realize that makes me sound like a boob, but I swear I was never THAT into it.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
12/06/05 Two legs truly a-twitter
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 11:53:53 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I realize that makes me sound like a boob, but I swear I was never THAT into it.


Suuuuure, buddy. So what does your support group think of your cape?
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up