Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Poll

Which of these potential TOUAMB message board software systems do you prefer?

Invision Power Board
- 4 (23.5%)
Phorum
- 0 (0%)
vBulletin
- 0 (0%)
Zorum
- 0 (0%)
UBB Threads
- 0 (0%)
Simple Machines Forum
- 2 (11.8%)
Vanilla
- 2 (11.8%)
Whatever, dude.  You know more about this shit than I do.
- 9 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: December 12, 2005, 04:38:14 pm


Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Board Software  (Read 11213 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2005, 04:57:23 pm »

Don't think I won't disable all of your accounts.  I can do it!  Just you fuckin' watch me.

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2005, 07:51:52 pm »

try it and I'll hit you with my truck
                  __===*@@@ @@@@@ @@@@@
                 /       _______________________________________ _ ___ __ _ _
          ______|^|_    | ***                                    |___ ___ __
         /|/~~~~~~~|    |  ***                                   |____ __ _ __
        / |    {_) |    |   ***                                  |__ ___ _ __
   ____/__|)  /~~| |@@@@|    ************************************|____ ___ _
  / _____ ~~~~~~~~~|@@@@|     ***********************************|___ __ _ __
 | /     \\      --|    |_/~~~~~\_______________________/~~~~~\__|_____ __ _ _
 |/  ***  \\       |---~|/  ***  \_____________________/  ***  \_|___ _ __ _ _
 `  *****  ~~~~=====       *****                         *****
     ***                    ***                           ***
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 08:00:36 pm by evan »
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2005, 08:12:16 pm »

I do believe that's the only valuable contribution to the internet ever made by the marquee tag. A tiny can of Dr Pepper to you, sir.

Now, jough, since we've obviously seen "the only valuable contribution to the internet ever made by the marquee tag," and we're never going to see another, can we get that friggin' thing disabled? Pretty please?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2005, 08:28:55 pm »

Dogg that is an awesome truck.  I stared at it for like.. 15 minutes before I realized my boss would basically start yelling at me.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2005, 08:35:07 pm »

I am split. On one hand, I am of the impression that the marquee tag is basically Internet Cancer, much like the blink tag was in days of yore, and thus needs to be killed as soon as possible.

On the other hand... I can't stop laughing.

Can we possibly maintain the truck post as the only evidence that marquee ever existed, a cautionary tale to our descendents, and then kill the fucker?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2005, 09:46:51 pm »

I think I will leave the tag alone since there's no way to get rid of it entirely without editing the code of the board itself, and I don't want to have to keep changing the code every time a new version or patch is released.

But I think I will make it a rule that any post that uses it will just be deleted, with multi-offenders being banned, etc.

It'll be like that apple.  You know, the one people weren't supposed to eat?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2005, 09:57:01 pm »

I think I will leave the tag alone since there's no way to get rid of it entirely without editing the code of the board itself, and I don't want to have to keep changing the code every time a new version or patch is released.

But I think I will make it a rule that any post that uses it will just be deleted, with multi-offenders being banned, etc.

It'll be like that apple.  You know, the one people weren't supposed to eat?


Wait, the marquee tag gives you knowledge of good and evil?

Anyway, that sounds reasonable, although it might be good to do a "mod-edit to kill the marquee tag if the post otherwise has meaningful content, delete if it's just a marque wankjob" policy.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2005, 09:59:39 pm »

On Firefox at home I'd disabled the marquee tag via a little-known and hard to find option. I'll have to come to this thread and test it out.
Logged

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2005, 10:20:24 pm »

try it and I'll hit you with my truck
                  __===*@@@ @@@@@ @@@@@
                 /       _______________________________________ _ ___ __ _ _
          ______|^|_    | ***                                    |___ ___ __
         /|/~~~~~~~|    |  ***                                   |____ __ _ __
        / |    {_) |    |   ***                                  |__ ___ _ __
   ____/__|)  /~~| |@@@@|    ************************************|____ ___ _
  / _____ ~~~~~~~~~|@@@@|     ***********************************|___ __ _ __
 | /     \\      --|    |_/~~~~~\_______________________/~~~~~\__|_____ __ _ _
 |/  ***  \\       |---~|/  ***  \_____________________/  ***  \_|___ _ __ _ _
 `  *****  ~~~~=====       *****                         *****
     ***                    ***                           ***

just curious. also, jough, you are rad as FUCK for changing the quote boxes.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2005, 10:25:55 pm »

I don't mind the marquee tag being there and usuable. I'm not even opposed to it being used on occasion, such as when someone makes a kickass truck to mow us all down in, H0++ A5C!! stylezz. I think we are all adult enough to use it only for good, not for evil, and to know that an inherently evil thing like it can only be used for good when it's really, really good.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2005, 10:44:41 pm »

Yeah, yesterday I spent an hour changing some cosmetic stuff - made the background lighter, made the quote boxes not burn my eyes or feel claustrophobic, changed the font of the messages back to verdana (although I left the board controls and other messages as Tahoma for now).

It's all coming together now.  I'm happy I made the switch.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2005, 04:07:12 am »

Why do you hate haircuts?

I like the marquee because it is hilariously tacky. It's like having a dancing baby gif option. It also can be awesome, as Evan has demonstrated.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2005, 05:33:31 am »

Question: need you specify a font face at all? I've got a great font set as my default (Lucida Grande, i can send to anyone if you like) that I so rarely get to see anymore because everybody specifies Verdana, Tahoma, Trebuchet MS, or something from the forbidden list, like Times, Courier, or Arial.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2005, 06:42:31 am »

You don't have to specify a font, but then everything would be in Times New Roman for most people, which is something I would never put my enemies through, let alone my friends.

Yes, I suppose people could write a custom stylesheet for Firefox to make the font anything they want.  But who will?

You want to see your default font and layout?  Turn off stylesheets in Firefox.  Mission accomplished.  High fives all around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: New Board Software
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2005, 07:30:53 am »

oh, ouch, dude. ouch.


MINUS ONE CAN
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up