Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Somehow I imagine Ray having a thought like this...  (Read 5542 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Somehow I imagine Ray having a thought like this...
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 04:26:35 am »

What I meant to say is there are only two teams because there is only offense and defense.  To accomidate a third team you would need a new aspect of play.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Somehow I imagine Ray having a thought like this...
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 01:56:31 pm »

Paul, I realize there's enough bs games out there, but I don't think the NBA is disappearing anytime soon, so we move on.

As far as game theory goes, three- or more- cornered contests are nearly impossible to balance if all sides are to be in conflict at all times.  Even the simplest complicit cooperation between any two sides would be enough to change the game from one of skill to one of numbers.  This begins to even out if there are enough sides (say, nine or more), but it's still a sizeable advantage if two teams work together against others who are competing alone.

I still have confidence that this game of numbers can be restricted, if not eliminated, through unique game design. In the case of a defense that's twice the size of the offense, this could potentially be deflated by reducing the team members on defense (like in the tri-baseball example) or through the implementation of zones on the field where numbers are restricted (I'm thinking at this point of handball, where only the goalkeeper is allowed within six metres of goal).

On a side note, it pisses me off that I only get to see handball once every four years. I think I'd really love that sport if I could just, you know... watch it.

The thought of a multiteam game with a larger number of teams (like twenty or more) crossed my mind too. Not sure how something like that would play out, but it works in auto racing.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Somehow I imagine Ray having a thought like this...
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 04:52:39 pm »

This is a very good question.

Someone sometime should have written a science fiction book where the team sports are like that.  And if they did, someone on this board knows about it.  Anyone?

Goddammit I am a dork.  There's an installment in Robert Asprin's "Myth Adventures" series in which the protagonists need to retrieve some talisman that is now being used as a trophy in a rugby/soccer-type game with goals at each end.  They set up a match with a triangular field, a goal at each corner, and three teams playing.  The score is tallied as goals against, and the good guys win when they split the ball in half with an axe, and score on each of their opponents' goals as time expires, and thus triumph 1.5-1.5-1.

DORK
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 06:38:51 pm by carlosdelvaca »
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Somehow I imagine Ray having a thought like this...
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 05:56:05 pm »

The score is tallied as goals against,

Well, there ya go.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Somehow I imagine Ray having a thought like this...
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 05:57:52 pm »

I knew a dork would triumph eventually.  One Dr Pepper to you, sir.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Somehow I imagine Ray having a thought like this...
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 06:22:46 pm »

Goddammit I am a dork.  There's an installment in Robert Asprin's "Myth Adventures" series in which the protagonists need to retrieve some talisman that is now being used as a trophy in a rugby/soccer-type game with goals at each end.

It's not a talisman. They just promised the trophy to someone as a birthday present without realizing what they were getting into.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Somehow I imagine Ray having a thought like this...
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 08:47:22 pm »

Back when I lived on-campus in college, our Residential Life dogooders would organize a pseudo-olympics for our particular neighborhood.  The South Green Games featured, among other contests, a four-way volleyball game.  Imagine four nets set up in X shape with each team of four (or was it five?) players in each quadrant.  The game was played just like regular volleyball, except you could hit the ball over any portion of the net into any other quadrant.  The objective was to be the first team to score 15 points, winner take all because you couldn't play very well with just three teams.

My team (Hoover House) was bad at four-way volleyball, but that's what happens when you're the honors dorm.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Somehow I imagine Ray having a thought like this...
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 08:55:17 pm »

There's already too many ridiculous bs sports out there, we don't need to invent any more.

~Paul
Nuts to that!  I want my SlamBall back!

Imagine four nets set up in X shape with each team of four (or was it five?) players in each quadrant.  The game was played just like regular volleyball, except you could hit the ball over any portion of the net into any other quadrant.
Does this remind anyone else of Warlords for the Atari 2600?
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up