Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack  (Read 33777 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2006, 06:15:42 pm »

I'm pleased you think I'm going to heaven.  I'm sure the five slaughtered Jehovah's Witnesses buried under my house would agree with you.  ;D

Cort: while that may be true for the Catholic church, evangelical Christianity would hold the exact opposite to be true - that I could do good works for the rest of my life in a non-Jesusy fashion and still end up spending eternity in the place where that guy with the pitchfork conducts his business.

But you missed the point above. All Christians follow the teachings of Jesus. Jesus started the Catholic Church. Therefore all Christians are members of the Catholic Church and are subject to its dogma. Either that or they're saying Jesus made a mistake by founding The Church which throws the whole "literal belief in the Bible" thing out the window and invalidates their whole belief-system anyway.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2006, 06:26:26 pm »

But you missed the point above. All Christians follow the teachings of Jesus. Jesus started the Catholic Church. Therefore all Christians are members of the Catholic Church and are subject to its dogma.

 ???

Perhaps I've got my facts wrong, but...Jesus didn't start a church of any kind.  Jesus did his thing, and Paul started the whole Christianity bit after Jesus died and went home.  Fifty years after he died, they decided to write down some of the stuff he said and make sure it was printed in red.

Then there was that Martin Luther guy.

I'm sure if you went up to a group of Fundamentalist Christians and told them they were really Catholic, the response would fall somewhere between polite disdain and you getting your ass beaten like a brass gong, depending on where you were.

BTW, before this starts getting heated, let me quote - shit, I don't have the page to hand, I'll post it in a minute.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2006, 06:29:34 pm »

I would position that argument in the position that 'innocents'  (those without sin you mention) who are not baptised and haven't received Christ may not be cast into the Pit. Personally, I believe that they probably still face judgment and are given the opportunity to embrace God at that time.

But that is afield of the question of Faith and particularly the question of the Justification of those who have heard the message.

Cort: the Catholic Church doctrine explicitly denies justification by faith alone. See the Council of Trent, Canons on Justification, Canon 9 and Canon 14.

See also the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Paragraph 977 "Baptism is the first and chief sacrament of forgiveness of sins because it unites us with Christ...."

Paragraph 2020: "Justification has been merited for us by the Pasion of Christ. It is granted through Baptism..."

Paragraph 2010: " can therefore hope in the glory heaven promised by God to those who love him and do his will. In every circumstance, each one of us should hope, with the grace of God, to persevere 'to the end' abd ti obtain the joy oe heaven, as God's eternal reward for the good works accomplished with the grace of Christ"

So here we see three requirements of the Catholic Church: Baptism; the Resurrection; and works.

Limmo's view is in line with mainline protestantism which holds the works unimportant and the Faith paramount for justification.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2006, 06:35:22 pm »

SHUT UP!  Shut up all of you! god I've never wanted to start a cult less in my life!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2006, 06:39:39 pm »

Actually, that's not "my" view at all - my view is that you can do great things or be a complete asshole while either having faith or explicitly rejecting it, and in the end all you're going to be is dead.  And if there is an afterlife, we have no idea what it is, and any assertion to the contrary is what Dennis Miller would call "a lateral move on the informational flow chart."  I don't worry about where I'm going after I die, because I don't worry about where I was before I was born.  They're probably the same place.

But that's just me.  Mr. Agnostic.  

I don't have a problem with people believing in Christ or any of the other stuff until it becomes reasonable for them to assume that dinosaurs and men co-existed prior to Noah's shipbuilding career.  Then I have a problem.

I can't find the quote I was looking for, so instead here's some photos of Jennifer Love Hewitt in a bikini.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2006, 06:48:37 pm »

Jesus told Peter to start The Church for him with the whole "you are my rock" bit.

I don't have the texts memorized or anything because I'm busy and porn doesn't dowload itself but at some point fairly recently the Church decreed that non-Catholics can get into heaven but that it's significantly harder for them without the sacrements due to the inherent Crap-Dudiness of man. I'm guessing this was at Vatican II.

Given the options of

A) Be Excellent to One Another [joining a church helps but is not required]
and
B) Believe in an invisible man who lives in the sky [be nice to other people if you get a chance. Unless they think there's a different invisible man, then harrass the shit out of them until they conceed that we're right]

I'll go with A any day of the week.

But hey, this is the same religion that states that every person from the dawn of man through the resurrection went to hell regardless of how nice a person they were so it clearly isn't all that concerned with the fates of non-believers. Clearly they're more worried about Aribtrary Capitalization oF words and maintaining an absolutely Criminal tax-exempt status.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2006, 06:55:49 pm »


but that it's significantly harder for them without the sacrements due to the inherent Crap-Dudiness of man.

You know what I want?  I want the Achewood translation of the Bible. I think it would clear a lot of things up.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2006, 07:23:59 pm »

You know what I want?  I want the Achewood translation of the Bible. I think it would clear a lot of things up.

Do not tempt misterqueue.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2006, 07:34:11 pm »

"Don't be doing such things as having any other gods before me, dogg"

Anyway, AD, you know I respect you and your beliefs, but I can't get behind what you're saying about morality requiring faith. What exactly do you mean by that? I have "faith" in some vague sense of the word: that what we have observed about the empirical world is true and not subject to change (i.e., the sun will rise tomorrow morning and gravity will still be in effect and the speed of light will remain constant), that human beings are basically good (and that they generally become non-good due to factors that we as individuals and a species can work on ameliorating), and that I can make my life better by my actions. Sure, this all involves a certain level of metaphysical thought (a belief in free will and a refutation of the concept of "evil souls" come to mind), but none of it involves any kind of religious faith. While the belief in divine beings and an afterlife gives great comfort and meaning to many, I truly don't find it necessary to live my life. (I should point out at this point that this doesn't make me any better or worse a person, just a person with a different belief set. Whatever one uses to find meaning is good, I think.) Are you implying that this sort of nebulous "faith" that the universe won't just explode is equivalent to religious faith, or that religious faith is required for it? If so, why?
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2006, 07:36:14 pm »

You know what I want?  I want the Achewood translation of the Bible. I think it would clear a lot of things up.
[/quote

Apparently on the 12th day God crawled among the chickens.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2006, 07:48:40 pm »

Something I've wanted to ask a devoted Christian, and AD can take this on if he feels like it, is "Why should I listen to you and not that Muslim guy over there?  What have you got that he doesn't?  How do you know you're right and he's not?  An old book saying you're right?  I think he's got that too.  Thousands of years of handed down tradition and dogma?  Check.  Millions of believers around the world?  Check.  What else you got?"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2006, 07:49:54 pm »

The First Letter of Lyle to the Thessalonians

1:1 Paul+Silvanus+Timothyunto th chorch f the Thessalalonians in god the father + Lord Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace n shit 1:2 fcuk dudez  gotta stop mixin th wine + wormwood my head feelz like chopped shit
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2006, 07:53:12 pm »

You know what I want?  I want the Achewood translation of the Bible. I think it would clear a lot of things up.

Don't bone your neighbor's wife. That is hell of lame.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2006, 08:13:07 pm »

Something I've wanted to ask a devoted Christian, and AD can take this on if he feels like it, is "Why should I listen to you and not that Muslim guy over there?  What have you got that he doesn't?  How do you know you're right and he's not?  An old book saying you're right?  I think he's got that too.  Thousands of years of handed down tradition and dogma?  Check.  Millions of believers around the world?  Check.  What else you got?"

The seven pillars of Islam are actually a very very good way to live your life. What I have that he doesn't is my personal belief in Christ as the resurrected Son of God and the center of my faith. What he has that I don't is a stronger code of behavior and component of works and deeds to merit paradise. What we both have is the idea of a loving and graceful God who has a strong interest in His creation (and some common stories of Antiquity). In fact, we both know of Christ although in Islam He is considered a Saint and Prophet and He did not die on the cross.

I don't pretend to know whether all the major religions point to the same God or not and I'm obviously not the one to judge, although I believe there is enough human diversity to believe God would give different people a slightly different journey to follow to Him. There is also the factor of human revelation of God's words and human interpretation of those revelations.

I can only speak to my faith life and 30+ years of attending worship and learning.

I've been consciously trying to make statements and present evidence here without proselytizing. I'm basically sharing my personal belief and understanding of the history and the words that make up the Christian faith. So please don't look at these posts as an appeal to conversion or evangelizing.

<><><>

V- I believe that morality has to be rooted in something. Something that is important enough to keep you strongly connected  to those morals that guide your behavior. The root of morality has to be faith in <something>. Because morals are highly variable across populations I don't assert that "good' morals can only be derived only from faith in God as I understand Him. But they do have to be derived from faith (which means, to me, abiding belief in something not directly provable nor refutable) in something. That's the only way to develop morals that transcend communities in a generalizable way.

I mean, true-believer Atheists have faith - they simply place it in themselves and their understanding that the world doesn't have any kind of God and that all religions are human constructs. This is a centrally humanist argument and you can derive a moral code from humanism.

You could think of the concepts of science; what we know to be true...cause and effect, the individuality of fingerprintes, DNA evidence....these are things which we have very strong faith in because we believe them to be true, faith in those concepts strong enough to merit convictiion and punishment for heinous crimes. Our belief in them is based on what we perceive as results; the same outcome over and over; no refutation of the theory that fingerprints and DNA are unique. We haven't proved it positively; we haven't seen ALL the fingerprints or ALL the DNA. So we take it on faith because it hasn't been disproved and the evidence is very strong. Is there some miniscule chance that they aren't unique? Sure. The results are considered 99.9xxxx % accurate.  Do we doubt? No. We may question the methods of gathering the evidence, handling the evidence, interpreting the evidence but not the core concept that makes it good evidence.

That's how I feel about God and everything He has done in my life except I'm willing to take the extra step: I have no doubt (100% accurate!) and require no proof. He is with me. I may question what some people say or believe about Him and I often question my own thoughts or actions or behaviors in terms of my relationship with Him. I may doubt myself but I try very hard not to doubt Him.

And sometimes I fail.

And then there is forgiveness.

edited for capitalization
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 09:01:55 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 23 January 2006 - Bonkers T. McQuack
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2006, 08:16:56 pm »

Do not tempt misterqueue.

I am seriously considering this.  Does that make me a fanboy?

I NEED REASSURANCE!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up