Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...  (Read 13844 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2006, 11:12:30 am »

The die has been cast!

Good show sir and madam.  I salute the both of you.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2006, 12:58:10 pm »

Wow. Nicely done, star.

Also, I see you have some Purdue-based pictures in your album. Do you happen to go there and/or know anything about it? I just got in for grad school and would like to know a little more about it before I actually visit.

Thank you (all of you), and, yes, I do happen to attend Purdue. Congrats on getting in for grad school! You, too, shall receive a tiny can of Dr. Pepper when I can give them! :) Say what you would like to know and your wish shall be granted...and you can sleep on mine and Alex's couch when you come, because what is being an Achewood fan for if you can't sleep on fellow fan's couches?

Also, apologies to AugustWest about "y'all"...it was an unintentionally misplaced apostrophy due to sleepiness.
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2006, 01:27:33 pm »

Self introductions...were we supposed to do these?

Shh!  Don't tell the newbies they don't have to introduce themselves.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2006, 02:03:49 pm »

Self introductions...were we supposed to do these? I completely skipped this part and went straight to making an ass of myself. My method is uncertain, yeah it's a mess but it's working. (????)

I missed this too. Do you think it's too late to go back and correct it? I'm not sure I'm really standing out from the crowd right now.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2006, 02:20:13 pm »

yes, we should all do it, even the ones who did it before.  In seperate threads!  Repeatedly!

This is clearly a sane and reasonable idea that all should adopt.  All should adopt this!


(I'm sorry, I was drinking last night and my brain is now caramel)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2006, 02:20:24 pm »

I missed this too. Do you think it's too late to go back and correct it? I'm not sure I'm really standing out from the crowd right now.

I think as long as you squeeze your introduction in before your 5000th post it'll still have some added value.  Why, I feel like I hardly know you, despite having read enough text from you to write a large-ish novel.

And of course, the introduction of your name as a common verb doesn't mean you're exempt from introductions.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2006, 02:22:59 pm »

Court Jester is an uncommon verb.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2006, 02:28:11 pm »

I suppose I should've said it was "locally common."  I guess I don't use it in everyday speech, but I'll be damned if it's not pretty popular around here.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2006, 05:14:36 pm »

I don't want it to be too common because I rely on getting this username for every site I register for. I don't want others snapping it up or not believing I'm me. Or maybe it'll just evolve into something meaningless like the horribly butchered "in like flint"
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2006, 07:32:24 pm »

ya'll is a contraction for "ya all" though.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2006, 07:47:31 pm »

ya'll is a contraction for "ya all" though.



Nuh-uh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2006, 08:22:51 pm »

And of course, the introduction of your name as a common verb doesn't mean you're exempt from introductions.

I almost referred to looking something up in a reference guide at work that had been previously consulted as "CortJsting" at work a couple of days ago. Clearly, I should work harder at making additional, non-TOUAMBie friends.
Logged

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2006, 08:27:57 pm »

ya'll is a contraction for "ya all" though.



I would like to agree with this, for that would make me correct and excite me, but, alas, in accordance with AugustWest's "nuh-uh", "ya" isn't a real word. He said that "y'all" is a combination of "you" and "all", which ARE both real words. So being grammatically correct, which acoxcae would be so proud of, I believe we have to agree that "y'all" is more correct than "ya'll"...although, arkabee, I have seen it both ways...

Just sayin'...
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2006, 10:59:06 pm »

I would like to agree with this, for that would make me correct and excite me, but, alas, in accordance with AugustWest's "nuh-uh", "ya" isn't a real word. He said that "y'all" is a combination of "you" and "all", which ARE both real words. So being grammatically correct, which acoxcae would be so proud of, I believe we have to agree that "y'all" is more correct than "ya'll"...although, arkabee, I have seen it both ways...

Just sayin'...

i'm going to my grave arguing that ya'll is a contraction for ya all.  and if sometime between now and my last breath,
someone brings the SCIENCE and attempts to use a PhD to "prove" that it's not,
or that it's not acceptable,
or etc,
i will have lived a happy life,
because
someone will have a spent an important portion of their life
accruing the necessary set of skills, knowledge, and credentials
to point out that a
regional colloquialism
is being spelled "wrong".


oh, the things i look forward to before dying.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2006, 11:02:19 pm »

i'm going to my grave arguing that ya'll is a contraction for ya all.  and if sometime between now and my last breath,
someone brings the SCIENCE and attempts to use a PhD to "prove" that it's not,
or that it's not acceptable,
or etc,
i will have lived a happy life,
because
someone will have a spent an important portion of their life
accruing the necessary set of skills, knowledge, and credentials
to point out that a
regional colloquialism
is being spelled "wrong".


oh, the things i look forward to before dying.



I accept your argument, and when AugustWest isn't paying attention, I agree with you! (but we'll let that be our little secret)
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up