Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting  (Read 14751 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2006, 02:46:09 pm »

Another Eagle Scout here.  I pretty much echo what AW said--any fun I had while in Boy Scouts was due to the presence of friends there, and had little to do with the BSA itself.  Many of the leaders were dicks.  I did enjoy a nice camping trip, though, as long as there wasn't too much hiking involved.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2006, 03:51:03 pm »

Camping? Hiking? Man you guys went to weird summer camps. At my camp we read The Oddesey and studied the impressionists like normal people.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2006, 03:56:28 pm »

I feel like I might have missed something as a child. The only scouting I did was going with my sister and her girl scout troop to Cosi one weekend. Damn, that place was fun. I felt a little wired being the only dude there though but it was cool because I got my mack on at an early age. Worst part was having to all sleep in sleeping bad on the hard wood (parquet?) floor of a large gymnasium at a near by school.

Not that off topicness is bad or anything but after posting I noticed that the original idea behind this thread was Arbuckle. I think I'm going make one because I like that sort of stuff. Anyone else going to try their hand at creativity?
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2006, 04:17:47 pm »

I feel like I might have missed something as a child. The only scouting I did was going with my sister and her girl scout troop to Cosi one weekend.

Not to be mistaken, I'm assuming, with Cosi, home of the squagel

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2006, 05:54:54 pm »

Camping? Hiking? Man you guys went to weird summer camps. At my camp we read The Oddesey and studied the impressionists like normal people.

At (one of) my summer camps, we took classes in Biology in a basement lab located near the morgue.  We saw a forgotten toe tag laying on the floor, near a puddle of mysterious, vaguely reddish fluid!
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2006, 06:18:09 pm »

At (one of) my summer camps, we took classes in Biology in a basement lab located near the morgue.  We saw a forgotten toe tag laying on the floor, near a puddle of mysterious, vaguely reddish fluid!

Man, and I thought Sketchy Art Camp was a good move, all faking the end of West Side Story with a giant cooler of red Kool-Aid. Any summer camp with mysterious, vaguely reddish fluid has to win!

(When I started this post, I thought that read just "forgotten toe," not "forgotten toe tag," and I thought your summer camp experience was much, much better.)
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2006, 06:30:36 pm »

Man, and I thought Sketchy Art Camp was a good move, all faking the end of West Side Story with a giant cooler of red Kool-Aid. Any summer camp with mysterious, vaguely reddish fluid has to win!

(When I started this post, I thought that read just "forgotten toe," not "forgotten toe tag," and I thought your summer camp experience was much, much better.)

Isn't there a story like that?  The Haunted toe?

Where like an old gentleman says that his son can have his entire fortune as long as the son wears his toe on a chain around his neck.  He does so for twenty years, until one night he meets a beautiful woman who is horrified by it.  Any right minded person would be of course.  She says she will not share a bed with him unless he removes it, which he of course does because she is intelligent, funny, and comely.

He loses all his riches immediately as the ghost of his father's toe berates him. He doesn't care, however, because he has found true love!  The ghost of his Father's Toe  is so moved that he not only restores the boy's riches but also buys the whole baseball team Ice Cream cones!  The End *


Also I am totally making this up.



Cynical Ending: He loses all his riches and the woman immediately loses interest in him.  But if you really want your fairy tales that way, seriously, jump off a bridge already.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 06:38:01 pm by misterqueue »
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2006, 06:48:30 pm »

I think the cynical ending is that the father hired her to tempt him into removing the toe. She never found him the least bit attractive at all. At all. GOD NO. I mean, have you seen this guy? If anything the toe actually helped because it was at least made him interesting some how. But not enough to sleep with.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2006, 06:53:11 pm »

I think the cynical ending is that the father hired her to tempt him into removing the toe. She never found him the least bit attractive at all. At all. GOD NO. I mean, have you seen this guy? If anything the toe actually helped because it was at least made him interesting some how. But not enough to sleep with.

Even further cynical: Not only did the father hire her, but it was his MOTHER!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2006, 09:17:31 pm »

Also, the dude was an idiot and the toe was just a Cheeto all along.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 09:27:46 pm by Emergent_C »
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2006, 01:34:29 am »

I never did get to do the summer camp thing.  I did spend a good deal of time at OMSI watching instructors such as freeze hot dogs in liquid nitrogen and shatter them, but I never did an overnight there.  I went to exactly one weekend camping trip during CCD before I dropped out of confirmation.  My summers were mainly spent in my home town riding bicycles around town. 
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2006, 04:06:09 am »

one of my friends went to a summer program for future doctors.
she dissected a person.

this horrifies me.


also: I was a cub scout. one year, I had the best car in the pinewood derby, but it fell off the track and broke. so I got exactly 1 place behind the place where you got a trophy. I, in a style which I have now realized is my trademark, ran away and hid in a small space. (this + wanting to bury embarassing things in my yard = reminding myself of roast beef)

my neighbors went to the boy scout store and got me a little pinewood derby pin. that made me pretty excited.

oh, to be 7 and in cub scouts.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2006, 04:23:36 am »

Also an Eagle Scout.  I learned how to burn stuff, and the camping was fun.

It was a big deal where I lived, so for someone like me who didn't give two fucks about it, I still had to give two fucks about it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2006, 05:08:45 am »

one of my friends went to a summer program for future doctors.
she dissected a person.

this horrifies me.

Real doctors get to dissect people while they're still alive!

(The doctors and the patients both, that is.)
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2006, 11:20:25 am »

I was in cub scouts and boy scouts because my friends were (mostly).  It was basically fun until the junior high ages, when I realized that all the scouts who got put in positions of authority were some combination of suckup, prick, and asshole.  They took great pleasure in their very small amounts of power, and failed to realize that the organization was not meant to provide them with proles to lord over.

In this manner it prepared me well for adulthood.

Also, I loved Garfield when I was a kid.  I had a stuffed Garfield toy that said different things when you pulled the string.  I was confused by Lorenzo Music's name on the credits of the specials.  I collected all the books through like 20, when it finally dawned on me that I wasn't going to get any more new jokes.  Bloom County, The Far Side, and Calvin and Hobbes pulled me away.

I think Garfield killed Lyman and his whole "act" is a desperate attempt to distract us from the case.  He and Liz were chopped up and mailed to Abu Dhabi in crates.

Lots and lots of very small crates.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up