Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend  (Read 15883 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Color_Me_Brad

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2006, 12:39:30 am »

Genius. The only way I can describe how he brought Beef back. He just crawls out the barrell. And he's back. So funny. Glad the subject of what happens if the two are left come up.......Beef is such a good friend. We'll see if he lives up to what he says though...Wow......Last guy.......Seems the GOF will be done with next week!!!!!!! And it all stated with cell phones with testes.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2006, 03:26:00 am »

I think Ray will win.  It's what he does. 

Likewise, I think Beef will die.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

estevus

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5
  • R E A D
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2006, 04:05:19 am »

Both Ray and Beef will win the Fight, regardless the fact that Beef is totally going down in the end. Ray will be named the champ and ensure the Stubbs name continues its legacy, but Beef will share the victory by having strategically manipulated everything to make Ray the champ.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2006, 05:52:35 am »

What if the english guys dutifully take each other out in a grotesque display of grotesque displayingness?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

revdj

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dougshaw.com
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2006, 03:03:54 pm »

I am in a hotel right now and this strip made it worth the 13 bucks for internet access.  Once Beef popped out, I'm thinkin', money well spent.


Holy crap.  I am in a hotel right now, too!  I had to spend 10 bucks.  This means your hotel is probably nicer than mine.  The cheapass hotels I usually stay in (when I am paying) give free internetitude.

Let us make it "interesting"  - If Beef wins, all the "ray" people have to, at some point in the next week, use the phrase 'Keep the change amigo, you're good people' at work, without explaining why.  If Ray wins, all the "beef" people have to, at some point in the next week, use the phrase  'cowboy sauce' under similar circumstances.

Anybody in?

(For the record, I think it is going to be Beef.)
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2006, 08:54:51 pm »

I'll vote Beef, as it would be far easier for me to use "Cowboy Sauce" at work. As a matter of fact, I'm going to start using it no matter what happens.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2006, 11:08:37 pm »

man.
I was talking to my girlfriend yesterday, and I said
me: "so I was talking to emily about achewood, and..."
she: "emily reads achewood?"
me: "yeah. why?"
she: *looks worried* "oh. no reason. I've been meaning to start reading it again."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr. Chord

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 24
  • Cheshire smirk
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2006, 11:26:10 pm »

Yeah, uh. Hm, well - not a big fan of this arc, so I'm glad to see it winding down. I'm still holding out for some unexpected twist at the end that will turn the whole thing around.

That being said, did Onstad have Ray make a very pointed joke about child molestation? Rudy looked genuinely hurt.
Logged
---

I had to get out of there. I took the stairs.

Omegatron

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2006, 01:57:41 am »

man.
I was talking to my girlfriend yesterday, and I said
me: "so I was talking to emily about achewood, and..."
she: "emily reads achewood?"
me: "yeah. why?"
she: *looks worried* "oh. no reason. I've been meaning to start reading it again."

Brilliant.

So... where is Molly in all this?
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2006, 01:43:32 pm »

...not a big fan of this arc...

Get Him!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2006, 06:10:12 pm »

I really loved the build-up to the fight, but yeah, the actual fight itself has been pretty much a letdown.  The last couple of strips especially seem like Onstad no longer has his heart in this arc and has gotten bored with it.

This could've been something that he could have dragged out for weeks, alternating between inside the fight and further complications outside of the fight, with one of the other dozen or so main characters.  But the plot of the fight has been... simple.

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2006, 05:08:25 pm »

I really loved the build-up to the fight, but yeah, the actual fight itself has been pretty much a letdown.  The last couple of strips especially seem like Onstad no longer has his heart in this arc and has gotten bored with it.

This could've been something that he could have dragged out for weeks, alternating between inside the fight and further complications outside of the fight, with one of the other dozen or so main characters.  But the plot of the fight has been... simple.


I'm not sure if I would have wanted it to drag out for weeks. Based on interviews, it sounds like Onstad invents his strips on a day-to-day basis. A good, long GOF arc would have involved a lot of planning. The humor comes from this insane giraffe out of water, giraffe out of the space-time continuum, giraffe blowing my mind situation, and it would take a lot of planning and momentum to keep that up for several weeks.

BUT, if Onstad were ever to come out with a Achewood graphic novel with a single, cohesive narrative, the GOF could easily be it. Of course, the meanwhile outside the fight bits would be necessary, perhaps juxtaposing the fight with Phillipe's antics, or comparing it to Lyle and Vlad's backyard rendition.

Come on Achewood novel! Pleeeeease?
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King

behka

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2006, 07:41:49 pm »

Quote
Care to, uh, make it interesting?

but i'm out of sexual favors!





(sorry, was in detroit all week)
Logged
To you, I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the loyal opposition. - Woody Allen, Stardust Memories

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2006, 08:13:51 pm »

David Wain? Jesus, I have been gone a long time.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2006, 11:00:24 pm »

I really loved the build-up to the fight, but yeah, the actual fight itself has been pretty much a letdown.  The last couple of strips especially seem like Onstad no longer has his heart in this arc and has gotten bored with it.

This could've been something that he could have dragged out for weeks, alternating between inside the fight and further complications outside of the fight, with one of the other dozen or so main characters.  But the plot of the fight has been... simple.


I concur, but I have to admit that at some point I started getting bored of it myself, it's been going on for like two solid months now.  During the build-up, the story was taking twists so sharp that they would make you feel physical pain, but since the fight began things have been progressing in a very linear fashion, despite there being some quality surprises here and there.

Thinking about it, most of the things presented since the beginning of the fight have not really had much importance to the plot at all.  For example, Ray and Beef pick up a pack of goons, but the goons don't really do anything.  Ray tears off a man's face, but it leads to basically nothing.  Ray drinks three quarters of a liter of brandy, but he emerges from the tent basically sober.  They have all been good strips but have not really done anything more than pass the time in the fight.

Nevertheless, I am sure that no matter what the outcome is, it is going to be climactic.  To prepare, I have refrained from orgasming for seven days so that when - eh forget it.
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up