Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now  (Read 18967 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2006, 05:19:19 pm »

Oh, I don't know, Bobby, it's not like LCB was being a cock to a stranger or anything.

Also, why does Noah have negative cans?  Is he totally a crap dude and I just forgot?

Also, my can count seems to be diminishing by one per hour - is someone with a vendetta setting a timer and remembering to come back once per hour just to take away a message board karma token?  Is this really how low some people's lives have become?

I was going to say that you might be losing cans because being a cock to a stranger is pretty much your modus operandi, but your tiny can problem seems to have taken care of itself.

Jough is a law unto himself.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2006, 05:30:09 pm »

Where did Stuffed Ray come from, anyway?

I made him for a friend's birthday. Larger version

The lenses in his sunglasses are made from a plastic prune juice bottle.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 05:36:25 pm by swinehund »
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2006, 08:17:45 pm »

That comic was the single saddest thing I have ever read and my life is now diminished for having done so... given the amount of useless info I inhale on a daily basis that's a pretty significant feat.  Congrats on that Lister.

Beetle and Booster are awesome, dammit.

The thing about them is that in the late 80s-early 90s, when relentlessly grim and incoherently poorly-written and poorly-drawn characters were the vogue in the comics industry, Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis were given the reins of the then-dead Justice League. What they did was make the title character-driven, with an emphasis on developing distinct personalities for the members and enjoying the interactions between them. There was a significant degree of comedy; Beetle and Booster developed a lasting comedy-duo dynamic, and J'onn was shown to have a fondness (never portrayed by Giffen as an addiction) for Oreos. However, there was very solid writing and dialogue, and the comic was never (or at least rarely) a farce; there were some marvelously creepy storylines, and in general it remained one of the best superhero comics of the period. Many of the DC "second-stringer" characters who had previously been Generic Hero #12 acquired characterizations and personalities under the Giffen/DeMatteis JL that remain the core of the characters to this day (Beetle and Booster included, although Beetle was killed in a recent crappy companywide event.)

All that said, this comic is not part of that excellent run. It is John Ostrander writing an homage of sorts to the Giffen JL, which for the most part is remembered by those who haven't read it as "the funnybook period". One could say that it is supposed to be J'onn playing on that perception of the JLI period to pass off a ridiculous story as true, but basically what it comes down to is that you shouldn't take it as representative of the JLI period.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2006, 08:20:52 pm »

Ben, do you have a PhD in this stuff or what?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2006, 08:24:25 pm »

Ben, do you have a PhD in this stuff or what?

I wish. That would make it quasi-respectable and incredibly dorky instead of faintly pathetic and incredibly dorky. I'm just a comics geek who really, really liked the Giffen/DeMatteis JL when it was running.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2006, 11:10:40 pm »

Okay, I give up: where is all the discussion of how awesome that stuffed Ray is?

Also, theinevitable, as much as it pains me to remember this, the main flaw in your synopsis is that all of the canonical My Little Ponies were female. There may have been a male one or two as special events, but they're considered dubiously canonical at best.

This is the part of the post where I would typically write "my life is a terrible and hollow lie" in tiny letters, but now that I'm remembering the dude who wrote a novel-length "epic" Pokemon story, set in the dark future, where Ash roamed the wastelands as "Ashura the Assassin" and his Pikachu was black ad could turn into a katana, I feel like a healthy and productive member of society. Thanks, fanfiction!
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2006, 12:35:05 am »

Okay, I give up: where is all the discussion of how awesome that stuffed Ray is?

I have been pondering all day whether to PM offering a huge sum for a stuffed version of Roast Beef, actually. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2006, 01:00:58 am »

I have been pondering all day whether to PM offering a huge sum for a stuffed version of Roast Beef, actually.

Ha! I would have done Beef too if I'd had more time. I've already got the grey velour.

Someone also suggested making a batch of 20 and auctioning them off. I've kind of got a thesis to finish first, though.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2006, 01:18:44 am »

A thesis in what? Unless you're curing cancer, I am sure nothing anyone could write could improve the world more than stuffed Achewood cats would. 

But are there legal issues if you start selling them, I wonder? 

 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2006, 01:23:06 am »

A thesis in what? Unless you're curing cancer, I am sure nothing anyone could write could improve the world more than stuffed Achewood cats would. 

But are there legal issues if you start selling them, I wonder? 

Probably not if you offer one to Onstad himself for free.  Someone on the (former) LNMAC Dumbrella board made a stuffed Sheriff Pony and gave it to Mr Rowland; he was very pleased about this, as I recall.

But yes, it would be wise to ask Onstad first.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2006, 01:45:40 am »

Probably not if you offer one to Onstad himself for free.  Someone on the (former) LNMAC Dumbrella board made a stuffed Sheriff Pony and gave it to Mr Rowland; he was very pleased about this, as I recall.

But yes, it would be wise to ask Onstad first.

I mailed him a picture, he said that he would also like one for his birthday, but that's as far as it went. I certainly wouldn't want to try to sell them behind his back.

I am curing cancer.... very indirectly! Also, it's seriously overdue. There's a proverb about this, it went like 'buy a lady's stuffed cats and you feed her for a month, let her finish her degree and you deprive her of several years of adult income' or something like that.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Ray Plushie
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2006, 01:50:30 am »

I mailed him a picture, he said that he would also like one for his birthday, but that's as far as it went. I certainly wouldn't want to try to sell them behind his back.

I think the term we are searching for here is 'Licensing Agreement'.  August could you draw the papers for this young lady.  And Swinehund i'd like to preorder 1 of your Ray Models.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2006, 03:25:38 am »

I am curing cancer.... very indirectly!

Right on! I love being able to sell my work in terms of what it will eventually do, given twenty years and more funding than technically possible. "Well, we're working on drug addiction... sooort of."
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2006, 03:27:44 am »

dang, I totally thought some were dudes.

it ruins it if it can't be Slash.

also: The Stuffed Ray is great. My girlfriend has a stuffed bear, who is actually an otter named Phillipe, after The Phillipe. He talks in a small voice, mostly over the phone.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2006, 06:44:38 pm »

This weekend, the Smith Science Fiction & Fantasy Society (SSFFS, pronounced "Sisyphus") is holding ConBust 2006.  One of the panels held yesterday (damn, I know, I missed it) was about Slash/Yaoi.  The description in the guide to the Con is "Come and talk about why you love to see boys kissing boys."
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up