Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: sweet, Ray's Place is back.  (Read 8423 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 06:40:59 am »

It's easier (for me, at least) to draw a sloppy "z" with a line through it than it is to take the time to "sharpen the edges".  I haven't always done it, though.  I only started putting dashes through sevens and Zs when I started doing algebra.  Now it's just a habit.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 06:43:15 am »

I think I was getting ahead of myself in my zeal.

I think I can definitely sympathize with the notion that a dash through is pretty much quicker than keeping it sharp, considering the way I write basically half of the alphabet.

But still!  I am venting anger at symbol creation!
Logged
~

stringph

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
  • I been meanin' to learn a little geometry
    • View Profile
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 11:59:17 am »


The 7 is there for a very good reason - because some people (like the French) habitually write 1 with a huge sloping up stroke.

Other weird stuff with m and n - I have seen (French) handwriting where these letters have a big curly preparatory stroke on the left that practically gives the letter another arch. You have to completely recalibrate.

Logged

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 03:38:25 pm »

You mean the curly {} or the square [] ?  I had a hell of a time getting used to writing the curly ones, but now I basically write them all of the time because of my major (computer science) - I have to write a surprising number of them, somehow.  Actually, I still suck at writing them, and the closing one still looks like a three.
Logged
~

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 04:20:33 pm »

You mean the curly {} or the square [] ?

There's no such thing as "curly braces."

{} - These are braces.
[] - These are brackets.
<> - These are greater than/less than symbols, and sometimes used (incorrectly) as angle quotation marks.

Any questions?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 04:29:33 pm »

Not to drag this back on topic but - I feel that my life could only be improved by advice from a cartoon cat, but I can't seem to come up with a specific question that is worthy.  This makes me sad.  Should I keep trying?  Or should I move on and go out and photograph people's recycling?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 06:56:46 pm »

It is your gift.

It is your curse.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 02:38:50 am »

I should scan some of my Japanese flashcards -- especially the ones for really pitiful vocabulary, like "school violence." Also, other Japanese speakers on the board can mock how terrible my handwriting is!
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 02:55:11 am »

I should scan some of my Japanese flashcards -- especially the ones for really pitiful vocabulary, like "school violence." Also, other Japanese speakers on the board can mock how terrible my handwriting is!

There are Japanese speakers?

I have to learn that language.  How did you(s) go about doing this?
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 01:28:05 pm »

There are Japanese speakers?

I have to learn that language.  How did you(s) go about doing this?

The preferred method is to be born in Japan of Japanese speaking parents, unfortunately.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2006, 02:04:57 pm »

The preferred method is to be born in Japan of Japanese speaking parents, unfortunately.

Yes, you certainly can't catch Japanese from fuck*ng someone who speaks it.  No matter how many times I... er.. you may try.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

thedudeabides85

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
  • Say good things about my dick
    • View Profile
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 03:07:30 pm »

Nor can you really catch Japanese from ordering several dozen packages of soiled schoolgirl panties and spending a weekend with them in your basement.  Indulging in a bura-sera fetish primarily brings peace of mind, but might render you able to understand a few Anime shows before the linguistic insight wears off.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 03:10:53 pm »

Yes, you certainly can't catch Japanese from fuck*ng someone who speaks it.  No matter how many times I... er.. you may try.

Damn, too bad.  That would sure increase enrollment in foreign language classes. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 03:11:29 pm »

Nor can you catch it by dressing up in a Sumo outfit and bumping randomly and forcefully into vaguely Asiatic looking people on the street; no matter how many restraining orders you get.

It just doesn't work people, take it from someone who knows.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2006, 03:50:47 pm »

Oh no! Ray's Place is cancelled again already!


Wait,what? Whew. That was close.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up