Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)  (Read 38885 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2006, 05:02:42 am »

There was a place in the U district of Seattle called Bedazzled that closed down a couple years ago.  The guy never let me get away without relieving me of at least 40 bucks.  The guy was obnoxious as hell too.  But it was always good stuff.  He introduced me to Serge Gainsbourg, in fact.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2006, 05:26:51 am »

And it's on a Saturday, Huzzah!  What can you tell me about this venue, I'm guessing there will be advanced tickets for a show of this magnitude.

Suede is a decent place.  I saw Sigur Ros (who apparently will be in Salt Lake next month) there a few years ago, and Robin Tunney was in attendance.  And, you know, if it's good enough for Robin Tunney, it's good enough for you.  Tickets will most likely be sold in advance, but I can't figure out where yet.  Maybe they haven't gone on sale yet.  I'm trying to weasel my way out of this thing I kinda have to go to, but we'll see.

Also, Dinosaur Jr is this Sunday, and I still can't decide if I should go.  I want to, but I have to get up early the next morning.

Whoa!  Sigur Ros is $28, and on a Sunday.  Fuck no.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2006, 02:12:02 am »


Last time: Love.  Before that: Uncle Tupelo.


dammit jough, my love for you runs deep. Uncle Tupelo?? I LOVE them! Although I like Jeff Tweedy's Wilco, (Jeff Tweedy and Jay Farrar were in Uncle Tupelo before they broke up) my heart still belongs to Jay Farrar's Son Volt. I have been listening to Okemah and the Melody of Riot ever since it was released in July 2005. "Bandages and Scars" is probably my favorite song of all time.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2006, 05:12:51 am »

dammit jough, my love for you runs deep. Uncle Tupelo?? I LOVE them!

I was actually introduced to them in a roundabout way.  First the Jayhawks (Tomorror the Green Grass - an album I lost to an ex and now can't find to download anywhere - I may break down and buy the CD), then the Roots, then Uncle Tupelo, and from them: Laurie & John.

I could never really get Wilco at ALL.  I keep trying to listen to YHF because it is so acclaimed, but it just sounds like one unmelodic song to me.  I just can't hear it.

Anyway, 1,000 cans for you for loving Uncle Tupelo.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2006, 11:10:17 am »

Yeah, I've been loving the Uncle Tupelo/Sun Volt/Wilco for a long time now. Have you listened to Redbird, Linnea? A friend of mine who also is an alt-country dork just got me into them.

And Jough - try one of their older albums, maybe? I like Being There a lot. To be honest, I don't even own YHF - I was broke when it came out, and I just never got around to buying it.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2006, 03:13:28 pm »

And 19 cans to Mite for also liking Uncle Tupelo.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2006, 03:15:07 pm »

I would be up for another CD swap.  You'd be getting my 2005 year-end disc, which I've posted about elsewhere.  Cover art equal to 2003's "Me and the Bean," mentioned earlier in this thread.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Honeycombhideout

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 18
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2006, 01:12:20 pm »

I am new, but, if you are interested, I am listening to the soundtrack Miles Davis did for Louis Malles's's 1950s film Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud (Lift to the Scaffold or Elevator to the Gallows in English-type words) and Neko Case's new album Fox Confessor Brings The Flood-- both of which are very good for listening.
Logged
I didn't ask for a shrink - that must've been somebody else. Also, that pudding isn't mine. Also, I'm wearing this suit today because I had a very important meeting this morning and I don't have a crying problem.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2006, 03:40:46 pm »

I am new, but, if you are interested, I am listening to the soundtrack Miles Davis did for Louis Malles's's 1950s film Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud (Lift to the Scaffold or Elevator to the Gallows in English-type words) and Neko Case's new album Fox Confessor Brings The Flood-- both of which are very good for listening.

Good heavens, yes, Neko Case is lovely. Her lyrics occasionally make me confused, but God, that voice. I could listen to tax regulations being sung in that voice and all would be glorious.

... I should go listen to Fox Confessor again.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2006, 05:41:36 pm »

vintage vinyl was disappointing.

I could not remember what I wanted to buy. I ended up getting two CD's by a local (ie: From Charlotte) band. I have not been able to find them in charlotte. They were like 7 $ each. I was saddened by this. Probably the first time I've left a record store without having spent a large portion of my cash.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2006, 04:27:34 am »

Right now I'm listening to some of the stuff off of the upcoming Gnarls Barkley album.

It's being streamed on the group's Myspace page right now.  So far I like it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2006, 04:38:42 am »

Also I'm shocked and amazed that there's already been two great hip-hop albums out this year so far (Ghostface Killah's giraffescale and Kool Keith's Project Polaroid). After 2004 and 2005 I started to write good hip-hop off as a passing thing.

Second the Ghostface album, but I haven't heard the new Kool Keith record.  Looks like he's releasing two albums this month?

Anyway, I agree, more or less, about 2005, but Madvillainy was released in 2004, which is one of my favorite albums of any genre.  Ghostface's album that year wasn't bad either.  But Madvillainy alone was enough to make it a good year.  Think I'll listen to it tonight.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2006, 05:37:42 am »

I just dropped about $15 on AllofMP3.  I have a bunch of Eno, Eno+Fripp, John Prine, Arlo Guthrie, Theolonius Monk, Procul Harum and Roberta Flack waiting for me on Monday.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2006, 05:51:00 am »

I've been picking up 80s rock chicks on AllOfMP3 lately.  This week it's Pat Benatar and Joan Jett. 

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2006, 06:20:26 am »

All I can say is, we just got the new Adrian Belew "Side Three" and it totally punishes.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up