Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Choose the best vegetable  (Read 22181 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2006, 09:38:46 pm »

I'm not surprised at the reaction to the rhubarb incident since we established long ago that the denizens here are pie and baseball hating hooligans.

But y'all like veg's and someone(s) gave the onion enough love so good on y'all.

ALSO: Corn right off the stalk and hand stripped in the field is OK, too.

How did we not wind up with a thread where you give a little more detail to the relevation that you paid professional baseball? I mean, the stuff we've learned about you in the past year! I'm looking forward to your autobiography.
Logged

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2006, 09:49:05 pm »

Not Having a Car = Does Not Compute.

Growing up, my access to car transport was erratic at best, and then I've always lived somewhere with decent bus service. Also when I was 8 my uncle died in a motorcycle accident, at 10 my mom nearly died from being hit by a car. Not much love for them.

Hobo Frenzy: I think we've decided on the Corolla if this happens, with all the optional safety features.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2006, 10:48:50 pm »

E10 Gas is the law in Hawaii now, but the Ethanol producers on the island can't meet the demand yet.

Could an engine run on 100% Ethanol? And could we keep drunks from siphoning our gas if one could?

Logged

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2006, 11:21:01 pm »

Iogen is a pilot project to make fuel ethanol from straw and other waste cellulose, leaving the vegetables for us to eat. They break down the cellulose enzymatically into sugar, which is where the majority of sugar is in the plant. It would also allow the option to pick crops just for cellulose production rather than having to use food crops, so possibly requiring less fertilizer in the long run. Not that they'd go that route for quite a while.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2006, 11:46:55 pm »

Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2006, 12:24:51 am »

There's a biodiesel co-op here in Hawaii. You can actually have drums of fuel delivered to your house, since it can't explode or burn at normal temperatures. The cost is pretty low per gallon and the mileage is good. Some places may also give you a tax break for using an eco-friendly fossil-fuel alternative. Also, oddly enough, here in Hawaii Biodiesel is actually cheaper than petrodiesel. And gas.

I almost went that route last year. Driving around leaving water vapor and the pleasant smell of french fries in my wake seems appealing.

So, instead, I drive an SUV that gets 17 mpg. The road to hell and all that.

Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2006, 01:12:09 pm »

Holy shit, just another reason to love Hawaii and be envious of Hawaiians! That is so cool that you can get Bio-Diesel AD.

I want a diesel for good gas mileage reasons and the great low end torque. And if Bio-D was readily available I would run it in a heart beat! That's it!! I need to move to Hawaii! I don't care if the native people hate me, I don't care if I have to live in poverty because I can't make expensive house payments, I don't care about 40+ days of rain. I want to be surrounded by beaches that I can easily drive to with my Volkswagen TDi that runs on Bio Diesel. Also surfing looks hell of fun. You with me Wombat? You ready to take a boat to Hawaii?

Vegetables will power me and my car someday!!
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2006, 09:42:11 pm »

Tomatos are so awesome they are both a fruit and a vegetable.

Deal with it bitches.  Eat Tomatos More Frequently.

~Paul


tomatos are the bomb diggity.

paul, what does ETMF mean other than eating tomatos more frequently?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2006, 09:50:54 pm »

Quote
Vegetable is also used as a literary term for any plant: vegetable matter, vegetable kingdom. It comes from Latin vegetabilis (animated) and from vegetare (enliven) in reference to the process of a plant growing.

That's quite interesting, considering the modern uses of the words 'vegetate' and when referring to humans as 'vegetables'. Use of language always changes, people. It must be accepted.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2006, 10:24:40 pm »


tomatos are the bomb diggity.

paul, what does ETMF mean other than eating tomatos more frequently?


I'm glad you asked.  I wrote about that here a long time ago.  I was just thinking about that post yesterday because I lost 100 cans for making a joke at G.O.D.'s expense.  I remember when I posted my ETMF story G.O.D. Made a similar albiet meaner joke at my expense.  But I don't obsess over the TCODP, they're meaningless to me.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2006, 05:50:57 am »

Okay, so Paul, you've been waiting for the opportune time to use that line for the past two years?

I'm dumbstruck by your unwavering perspicacity.  You have your cans back, plus a few to grow on.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2006, 01:01:59 pm »

Okay, so Paul, you've been waiting for the opportune time to use that line for the past two years?

I'm dumbstruck by your unwavering perspicacity.  You have your cans back, plus a few to grow on.

Actually no, I just noticed that post of yours while researching my reply to Ark and thus decided to craft my response like I did, but I can totally see why victims groups play the martyr card, it totally works.  I had to google up perspicacity, I don't believe i've ever encountered that word before.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2006, 01:46:33 pm »

Education!

And hey, how about those vegetables!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2006, 01:47:52 am »

My favorite vegetable is artichokes (it's been said before, but they are fuck*ng rad), with asparagus and snap peas running very close 2nd and 3rd. I try to eat vegetables, but their desirability somehow pales when compared to sugar and other simple carbohydrates.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2006, 03:46:48 am »

Linnea feels the artichoke love!


Hang on, that didn't sound right.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up