Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: April Blogs Bring May Flowers  (Read 17685 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2006, 12:49:07 pm »

My Buddy Dave has an Issetta.  He calls it The Aerocar.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2006, 02:12:27 pm »

Even if I were inclined to have one (not, I have three kids) I can't imagine taking any kind of long trip in it, let alone sharing the road with all the big SUVs and commerical trucks. If you were on a windy bridge and a huge semi went by you at 70mph, wouldn't that little car just blow right off the bridge?

They're more practical in Europe and the UK, where crazy mothers driving their single child to soccer practice with a cooler of Capri Suns in a Suburban that could easily seat three border-hopping families are not as much of a problem.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2006, 08:52:41 pm »

They're more practical in Europe and the UK, where crazy mothers driving their single child to soccer practice with a cooler of Capri Suns in a Suburban that could easily seat three border-hopping families are not as much of a problem.

Europe has negative population growth. Europe has shorter distances and more expensive gas. Europe has smaller average vehicles (due to smaller and windier roads). It's natural to have a vehicle like this there because the driving culture evolved to it.

In the US of today, it's like putting webbed feet on a donkey unless and until general driving habits and the driving culture in the US change dramatically.

I can maybe see these in an urban environment where maybe you don't drive far and use surface streets (i.e. the same kind of areas where mopeds are practical) but once on the highway I can't see this being safe or practical, and especially since average family size in the US makes this a useless toy (especially with increasing migration to the US).

Edited to avoid HELL of negative cans because Karma can ban you now.


« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 07:31:58 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2006, 08:53:14 pm »

Europe has negative population growth. Europe has shorter distances and more expensive gas. Europe has smaller average vehicles (due to smaller and windier roads).

Europe probably has self-image problems, too.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2006, 09:21:43 pm »


I can maybe see these in an urban environment where maybe you don't drive far and use surface streets (i.e. the same kind of areas where mopeds are practical) but once on the highway I can't see this being safe or practical, and especially since average family size in the US makes this a useless toy (especially with increasing migration to the US).

So Dawg, what kind of vehicles are popular in the Aloha State?
Logged
ACHIEVE

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2006, 09:52:02 pm »

1) Largish Pickup trucks and SUVs

2) Ricers of all types and modifications

3) any kind of Jeep

4) Hoopdies

There are also some weirdos driving this little electric bubbles around. They look foolish and probably die quickly.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2006, 11:20:27 pm »

this is the part where AlohaDawg posts a picture of a smartcar-wreck, and the internet comes full circle.

we all have a party with everyone else who has helped it on its way.


I feel that I am stealing this concept from someone. Sorry.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2006, 12:02:41 am »

1) Largish Pickup trucks and SUVs

2) Ricers of all types and modifications

3) any kind of Jeep

4) Hoopdies

There are also some weirdos driving this little electric bubbles around. They look foolish and probably die quickly.

Man, I thought everyone just surfed everywhere. Now I'm never going to go to Hawaii. And not just because AD's there, either.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2006, 07:27:57 am »

this is the part where AlohaDawg posts a picture of a smartcar-wreck, and the internet comes full circle.

we all have a party with everyone else who has helped it on its way.

I feel that I am stealing this concept from someone. Sorry.

Not a SmartCar. We have GEM

Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2006, 01:24:26 pm »

this is the part where AlohaDawg Hobo Frenzy posts a picture movies of a smartcar-wreck, and the internet comes full circle.

Smart Car Crash Test in slow motion without sound. These are pretty cool and it looks like the smart car held up fairly well. I know it's a small car versus a small hatchback car but you have to consider this is a high speed test so I'm guessing their traveling at about 60-70mph. That's not bad!

EDIT: Oh shit, this might be a gold mine if you were one to mine and cherish Smart Car crash footage. This is a Smart vs a MB E320.

EDIT2: Smart car meets a concrete wall. High speed crash with British commentary from Tiff Needell. What fun!


I tried to make the Google search as specific as possible but I still ended up with a video about philosophy from Daniel Dennett. Fuck THIS guy !
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 01:34:06 pm by Hobo Frenzy »
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2006, 02:14:02 pm »

Unfortunately, I think "high speed" in these instances is only 40 mph (cite). It did hold up pretty well, but I think it'd look significantly different after hitting a semi at highway speeds. I still want one, though.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2006, 03:05:04 pm »

Hmm you may be right as far as the official crash test goes. But I remember the Fifth Gear crash test (the one with the concrete barrier) was done at a very high speed. 70mph is sticking out in my mind for some reason. I'll try to find out more though.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2006, 04:06:18 pm »

Why is Emeril requiring a 7-layer mexican dip for club gatherings? That's just West Coast Bias.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2006, 04:59:42 pm »

Onstad wrote better in the fourth grade than the girl whose Psych paper I just peer-edited does now.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Simms

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2006, 10:42:21 am »

In Ray's latest blog entry, the wine he drinks is a wine mentioned in a Beastie Boys song.

"Like a bottle of Chateauneuf-du-Pape/ I'm fine like wine when I start to rap."

I just figured I'd mention this.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up