The only people who care about where you went to college are grad school admissions people. Maybe your first employer will ask. If you do go to one of the Ivy League schools, you'll have a slight leg-up as alums like to suck each others' dicks, and you can suck some dick to help yourself get ahead a little, although that probably won't work out as you'd hoped either.
Your degree and major will be important for the first year or two out of college. Then, as wombat says, it gets less and less important. Most people won't give a shit where you went to college, IF you went to college, or what you studied while you were there. Employers will only care about your last place of employment or two, and if college is one of those, then maybe they'll care about what you studied. For me, it has never come up. I mean, my education is on my resume, but I went to community college part time while I worked, and went to a state school for the second two years. I got a good education because I took a good education. There are decent resources at any university to get yourself the knowledge that you need. It's just a matter of whether you're willing to work for it or not. Also, books help. A lot. But you don't need to go to college to read books and gain knowledge and understanding.
You're not really going to learn anything until you're actually working in your chosen field anyway. Theoretical knowledge is important of course, but it's hardly a substitute for in-the-field work where you have to apply true understanding to get the job done.
In the IT field, I would rather hire someone who has been working in the field for the past four years and has no degree than hire someone just fresh out of college.
Of course, some fields are harder to get into without a college degree, like the sciences.
EDIT: I didn't mean to sound like I'm saying that you shouldn't go to college. You definitely should if you can. And pretty much everyone in the U.S. can. College is great, but not because it'll help you get a good job or that you'll learn much in your classes (although you will if you study pretty much at all). It's a whole different social structure than high school or the "real world," you'll meet lots of interesting people, and college girls tend to be really really easy to have sex with, as their only real options are poor college guys. If you're at all charming you already have an edge over your competition.
But I digress.