Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mommy I need to take a Wii.  (Read 8829 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2006, 04:02:31 pm »

Yeah, HD-DVD isn't a next-gen format.  It's a last-gen format with slightly higher capacity. 

BRD is the future.  Like Betamax it's way better than its competition.  I just hope it wins (like the CD and DVD) and doesn't lose just because it's Sony (like the Minidisc, which is still the best format for live digital recording available today).

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2006, 04:36:01 pm »

Yeah, HD-DVD isn't a next-gen format.  It's a last-gen format with slightly higher capacity. 

BRD is the future.  Like Betamax it's way better than its competition.  I just hope it wins (like the CD and DVD) and doesn't lose just because it's Sony (like the Minidisc, which is still the best format for live digital recording available today).

Because this bares repeating.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2006, 04:17:12 am »

That doesn't mean it's actually worth having.
Minidisc might be superior but from what I've read sony's exhorbitant licensing fees basically priced them out of the market, I'm seeing a similar thing happening with umds.
People want superior quality in theory but most people will settle for less. My father recently bought his first dvd, he never would have done so if VHS was available. In his world he understands vhs and most importantly already has a vhs player. Backwards compatability will be very necessary to popularise this techn especially since DVDs are still relatively 'new' in many people's minds.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2006, 12:56:14 pm »

Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players will be backwards compatible w/ current DVDs from what I've heard. As far as I can tell the only real difference (other than laser color) is capacity.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up