Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!  (Read 3698 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 03:28:56 am »

I'd always assumed that all goths, boys and girls, peed lying down.

Because sitting up for any reason other than to pretend you're a vampire ("Oooooooh, I'm riiiiiiising out of a cofffffffffffffffin! Take a piiiiiiiiiiiiicture for my myyyyyyyyyyyyyspace page!") seems to smack of effort for them.

And anyway I think once a movement, even a Very Lame Movement, gets a store in every mall everywhere, their being too easy a target no longer applies to them. Every time anyone passes a Hot Topic, warm bile rises up into their throat that can only be choked back out of fear of imprisonment, correct? I'm not alone on this?

When everyone always has to see it all the time, it's no longer just an easy comic target.

It is a valve that must be released, from time to time.

Else we are imprisoned, even though what we would be doing would be completely right.

But I guess you learn something every day:

Goths will move to pee.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 09:44:32 am »

Hurray! Achewood is back! Missed you bro.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

branwell

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 10:28:54 am »

To me, this strip has virtually nothing to do with making fun of Goths.  The target is more Ray -- his previously-established fixation on Teodor's fondness for the Cure (does Teodor even like the Cure?  We know Pat does, but Teodor's never mentioned it directly), his muddled notion of what being a goth entails, the resultant incompetent attempt to impersonate Robert Smith, etc.  To me, it's much in the same vein as the strip where Ray re-created Cheers for Beef on the evidence that Beef said he liked Cheers -- except that the relationship between Ray and Beef is nothing like the one between Ray and Teodor.  (Much less disdain on Beef's part, for one thing.)  So here, we get Ray's awkwardness and incompetence played up, because that's how Teodor perceives him..

And just as well, really.  I'm not sure why I found the whole Keith Moon's Head thing so seriously unnerving, but I certainly did.  Good riddance, Keith Moon's Head!
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 10:31:34 am »

The joke of this strip to me isn't 'haha funny goths' but more that this is what Ray believes goth to be like and further that this was the best plan he could come up with.
Just imagine 'don't tell me you take a shower now' as said by a down-home texas gentleman in an amused fatherly way.

Actually I don't think Ray believes he is fooling Teodore,  he just uses extreme tangents to fend off akward moments, this kind of a progression from "hey beef look I'm htting myself."
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Brien

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6
  • only good people can hide in computers
    • View Profile
    • Garbage
Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 09:55:51 pm »


How is this read as a cheap "make fun of goths" gag?  ???

Actually I don't think Ray believes he is fooling Teodore,  he just uses extreme tangents to fend off akward moments, this kind of a progression from "hey beef look I'm htting myself."

Oh man. I hadnt thought of that. I just thought that Ray was getting dumber (in the same way Homer Simpson does when the writers cannot think of anything clever). I am a firm believer in your theory on the way the cartoon cat is behaving in this comic strip.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up